Upgrade from OJS 2.4.6.0 to OJS 3.3.0-10 LTS error

Hi Team

i am trying to upgrade from OJS 2.4.6.0 to OJS 3.3.0-10 LTS

getting the following error, could you please give me your inputs

/home/ltcorg/clone.informaticsjournals.com/lib/pkp/classes/plugins/Plugin.inc.php(463): PluginSettingsDAO->getSetting()
#7 /home/ltcorg/clone.informaticsjournals.com/lib/pkp/classes/plugins/LazyLoadPlugin.inc.php(68): Plugin->getSetting()
#8 /home/ltcorg/clone.informaticsjournals.com/plugins/generic/tinymce/TinyMCEPlugin.inc.php(24): LazyLoadPlugin->getEnabled()
#9 /home/ltcorg/clone.informaticsjournals.com/lib/pkp/classes/plugins/PluginRegistry.inc.php(69): TinyMCEPlugin->register()
#10 /home/ltcorg/clone.informaticsjournals.com/lib/pkp/classes/plugins/PluginRegistry.inc.php(142): PluginRegistry::register()
#11 /home/ltcorg/clone.informaticsjournals.com/lib/pkp/classes/cliTool/CliTool.inc.php(65): PluginRegistry::loadCategory()
#12 /home/ltcorg/clone.informaticsjournals.com/lib/pkp/classes/cliTool/UpgradeTool.inc.php(36): CommandLineTool->__construct()
#13 /home/ltcorg/clone.informaticsjournals.com/tools/upgrade.php(21): UpgradeTool->__construct()
#14 {main}
thrown in /home/ltcorg/clone.informaticsjournals.com/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Database/Connection.php on line 671

Hi @suresh_patil,

Did you do the intermediate step of upgrading to OJS 3.2.1 first? Upgrading from 2.4 to 3.3 isn’t really feasible: How to Upgrade

-Roger
PKP Team

1 Like

Hi @rcgillis ,

Thanks for the reply!

i will attempt for upgrading to OJS 3.2.1 first as suggested by you. and get back to you if i face any issues.

few doubts: “files” & “public” folders of current instance in new OJS version folder is required for Database Upgradation OR once the DB upgrading is successful we can move these folders?

Hi @suresh_patil,

I’d recommend taking a detailed look at our upgrade guide, which mentions how to handle the database and file folders when doing upgrades: How to Upgrade - you keep these in place, but its very important to have backups.

-Roger
PKP Team

1 Like

Hi @rcgillis ,

Thank you.

what do you suggest?
my current OJS version is 2.4.6.0 should I upgrade to 2.4.8-x first or I can upgrade it to OJS 3.2.1

I am attempting it on the test server.

Hi @rcgillis ,

I am trying to upgrade it to OJS 3.2.1.1

but I got the following error

[29-Mar-2022 12:35:24 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Cannot declare class XMLParser, because the name is already in use in /home/ltcorg/clone.informaticsjournals.com/lib/pkp/classes/xml/XMLParser.inc.php on line 28
[29-Mar-2022 12:35:36 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Cannot declare class XMLParser, because the name is already in use in /home/ltcorg/clone.informaticsjournals.com/lib/pkp/classes/xml/XMLParser.inc.php on line 28

Hi @suresh_patil,

As it states in the documentation, you should start from the latest 2.4.8-x build: “Before upgrading to 3.x, make sure you are upgraded to the latest 2.4.8-x build.” (How to Upgrade)

-Roger
PKP Team

1 Like

Hi @rcgillis

tried upgrading to latest ojs-2.4.8-5.tar.gz, got following error.

[30-Mar-2022 05:09:43 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Non-static method PKPApplication::defineExposedConstant() cannot be called statically in /home/ltcorg/clone.informaticsjournals.com/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.inc.php:545
Stack trace:
#0 /home/ltcorg/clone.informaticsjournals.com/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.inc.php(17): define_exposed()
#1 /home/ltcorg/clone.informaticsjournals.com/lib/pkp/includes/functions.inc.php(28): include_once(’/home/ltcorg/cl…’)
#2 /home/ltcorg/clone.informaticsjournals.com/classes/core/Application.inc.php(19): import()
#3 /home/ltcorg/clone.informaticsjournals.com/lib/pkp/includes/functions.inc.php(28): include_once(’/home/ltcorg/cl…’)
#4 /home/ltcorg/clone.informaticsjournals.com/lib/pkp/includes/bootstrap.inc.php(55): import()
#5 /home/ltcorg/clone.informaticsjournals.com/lib/pkp/classes/cliTool/CliTool.inc.php(31): require(’/home/ltcorg/cl…’)
#6 /home/ltcorg/clone.informaticsjournals.com/tools/bootstrap.inc.php(17): require(’/home/ltcorg/cl…’)
#7 /home/ltcorg/clone.informaticsjournals.com/tools/upgrade.php(19): require(’/home/ltcorg/cl…’)
#8 {main}
thrown in /home/ltcorg/clone.informaticsjournals.com/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.inc.php on line 545

Hi @suresh_patil,

Thank you for including these error log messages. I’m not sure what’s going on here, but I will see if one of our team members can assist when they are available.

Best regards,

Roger
PKP Team

Hi @rcgillis ,

Thanks, awaiting for your response!

how much do you charge if we outsource the upgradation task to you.?

-Thanks

Hello @suresh_patil

Please be patient. Support on the PKP Community Forum is provided for free by PKP staff and community members. We are a small team and need to balance our time spent answering questions here on the Forum with our other work developing and maintaining our free and open source software and other services. We try our best but do not guarantee that every question will be answered or that every issue is resolved.

PKP does not do external upgrades. However, if you are interested in our hosting services, you may wish to check out PKP Publishing Services.

Best regards,

-Roger
PKP Team

1 Like

Hi @suresh_patil,

About the error message you’re getting:

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Non-static method PKPApplication::defineExposedConstant() cannot be called statically in .../lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.inc.php:545

I suspect you’re trying to install/upgrade OJS 2.x on a server running PHP 8.x. OJS 2.x is not compatible with PHP 8.x; you’ll need to use an older version of PHP.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Thank you very much @asmecher for the reply.

is “files” & 'public" folders of current instance required during Database upgradtion or those can be moved post successful Database upgradation.?

Hi @suresh_patil,

No, the upgrade process needs to rearrange the files directory, so you’ll need to have that directory copied as well.

Regards
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

1 Like