Unread messages window keeps loading forever

Dear Staff,
I have a problem with the unread messages button once I click to view the unread messages it keeps loading forever as shown in the photo

your help to solve this problem is highly appreciated
-Salam

Hi @Salam_Al-Khammasi,

Do you have access to your PHP error logs? Is there anything there that would indicate what might be causing this?

-Roger
PKP Team

Thank you for your reply Roger!
I only got that errors in my PHP error logs file

[06-May-2021 00:48:27 UTC] PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant SCHEMA_GALLEY - assumed ‘SCHEMA_GALLEY’ (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in public_html/lib/pkp/includes/functions.inc.php on line 224
[06-May-2021 00:48:27 UTC] PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant SCHEMA_AUTHOR - assumed ‘SCHEMA_AUTHOR’ (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in public_html/lib/pkp/includes/functions.inc.php on line 224
[06-May-2021 00:48:27 UTC] PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant SCHEMA_AUTHOR - assumed ‘SCHEMA_AUTHOR’ (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in public_html/lib/pkp/includes/functions.inc.php on line 224

regards

Hi @Salam_Al-Khammasi,

Thanks for including this. I’m not sure exactly what is occurring here, but I’ll see if anybody else is able to assist.

-Roger
PKP team

Thank you Roger! I’m waiting for more help from PKP team
-Regards

Hi @asmecher,
Can you help me with that matter please.
regards,
-Salam

Hi @rcgillis,
I’ve noticed that unread notifications keeps loading forever in case I have a large number of notifications. However, It works perfect with small numbers of unread notification.
Regards,

Hi @Salam_Al-Khammasi,

Sorry, but I am unable to assist with this. Please note that support on the PKP Community Forum is provided for free by PKP staff and community members. We are a small team and need to balance our time spent answering questions here on the Forum with our other work developing and maintaining our free and open source software and other services. We try our best but do not guarantee that every question will be answered or that every issue is resolved.

Best regards,

Roger
PKP Team

I’m going to find out and solve this problem if I could. Thanks a lot for your quick response and patience. Wish you all the best

Hi @Salam_Al-Khammasi,

If it’s working correctly with a small number of notifications, but not working with a large number, it’s possible the query to fetch all of the notifications is taking longer than the PHP max_execution_time and the request is timing out. You could try increasing that and seeing if it does eventually return. If it does work after that, it’s possible there could be some room for optimizing the queries to fetch notifications.

Regards,

Erik
PKP Team

I have the same problem. If I log into another account with only a few notifications, it works fine.

Hi @ewhanson,
Thank u Erik for your reply. I checked the Notification table in the database and I noticed that there are so many NULL notification rows in that table once I deleted all of them the notification worked nicely. But I couldn’t understand the reason behind that error although I upgraded my system to OJS 3.3.0.7

Kind regards,
-SALAM

Hi @hickeygamez,
Please check my reply in the same post. I hope it will be helpful.
regards,

Hi @Salam_Al-Khammasi,

Not sure why it would have been happening, but I’m glad you figured it out!

Regards,

Erik
PKP Team