Understanding view statistics columns "File Type" and "Type"

Hi All,

We are doing a little project for CALJ to make use of usage statistics from various OJS instances.

There are 2 columns in the exported CSV that I would really like to get explained

I have done a little digging in the code, but I have not found my answers yet.

1/ “File Type”

• the URL part is: columns[]=file_type
  • the CSV heading is: “File Type”
  • the data appears to be: " ", “1”, “2”, or “3”

… what do these values signify? Are there other values? Is there is a location in the code where this is clarified?

2/ “Type”

• I think the URL part is: columns[]=assoc_type
  • the CSV heading is: Type
  • the data appears to be: “Galley”, “Article”

What do these values indicate, and are there other values that might appear in this column?

Any and all clues are appreciated!

Hi @dougplant

To be sure: what OJS version and what report are you using?

The file types are probably one or these: pkp-lib/PKPStatisticsHelper.inc.php at ojs-stable-3_1_1 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub

And the assoc types are probably these: ojs/StatisticsHelper.inc.php at ojs-stable-3_1_1 · pkp/ojs · GitHub

Best,
Bozana

Thanks @bozana

It appears to be: Open Journal Systems 2.4.8.0

I think I’ve interpreted the code you highlighted for me. Thanks for that!

I was blocked grepping for some of those constants, as if the branch I’d cloned was missing a file or something, anyway, I’m going with the code you’ve pointed out. Thanks again!

Hi again @bozana

Another question: Is there any way to extract ‘view counts of the abstract’ from this data?

I assume that the data marked “galley” is some composite, but I’m not sure of what? Any clues here would be helpful.

Hi @dougplant

I assume you mean the usage stats report, correct?
There the Type (column) = Article is for the abstract views.
The Type (column) = Galley are the views for that specific galley.

Was this your question?

Best,
Bozana

Correct, the ‘usage stats report’ - “… /src/manager/generateReport?metricType=ojs::counter …”

And in that case, you’ve definitely answered my question. Thanks!