"Unable to connect to Dataverse" error message

@axfelix quick sanity check: Does the OJS Dataverse plugin still support DVN 3.x? It sounds like it’s working fine with Dataverse 4.x.

@ramon in the rewrite of DVN 3.x to Dataverse 4.x we decided to disable SWORD auth via username and password in favor of an API token in SWORD: disable auth via username and password in favor of API key/token · Issue #1823 · IQSS/dataverse · GitHub . Otherwise OJS has to persist the Dataverse passwords in a database, which is a potential risk to the security of the Dataverse passwords. I mention this because if you do get the OJS Dataverse plugin working with DVN 3.x, you’ll need to have your users switch from passwords to API tokens once you upgrade to Dataverse 4. We express this as “For better security, usernames and passwords are no longer accepted. The use of an API token is required” at http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.0/api/sword.html#backward-incompatible-changes . We tried to minimize the backward-incompatible changes but we felt that this was an important security issue to address.

There’s no reason DVN 3.x support should’ve broken – nothing’s changed in the plugin codebase since it worked – but I haven’t tested recently, like I said.