Unable to assign a reviewer who declined to do a review but then changed their mind

Description of issue or problem I’m having:

A reviewer declined to do a review, but then changed their mind and agreed to do the review. They had already declined in OJS. The editor is now unable to reinstate them or re-add them as a reviewer.

What I tried to resolve the issue:

We tried “canceling” the review and then “reinstating” the reviewer but that did nothing. Also tried impersonating the reviewer but that did nothing as well.

Application Version - e.g., OJS 3.1.2:

Additional information, such as screenshots and error log messages if applicable:

Hi @Janet_Swatscheno,

At this time, it is not possible to reassign a reviewer from the system if they have initially declined the request. Here are some potential workarounds:

• Create a second user account and merge this to the original user account after the review has been completed
  • Send the files to them externally and include the recommendation in the decision email.

There is an open Github ticket to Permit declined reviews to be reinitiated which has been scheduled to be included with the next release of OJS.

Kind Regards,
Patricia

Thank you for the quick response Patricia!

Best,
Janet

I believe it works to go into the database, like with PhPMyAdmin, and delete the review. Then add the reviewer all over again from within OJS. I know I’ve done this with success at some point… but it’s been a while.