Turn off notifications for users (as admin)

Hi,
I’m admin of an OJS site and am having trouble finding where to turn off notifications for particular users. We usually check the “Send notification email to all registered users” whenever adding a new announcement. Sometimes, a reviewer or author contacts me in order to be removed from this email list - but I can’t find out how to achieve this.
So far, I’ve just had to ask them to remove themselves from the list by logging in to the site and updating their preferences for notifications. But I would really like to be able to help them with this as an admin – especially since the notification email goes out to anyone that has been involved with the journal (people that have for example been contacted and ask to review a manuscript, but that has never signed up for notifications).
There must be a way to do this, right? crossing fingers
My tech skills are close to none, so I’m hoping I’ve just missed something simple and essential. Please excuse me if I’ve posted this in the wrong forum or anything like that.
Big thanks in advance.

Hi @smh

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to do this, even as a site admin. If you wanted to do it for users, you’d need to use the “login as” functionality in the Users and Roles area to become that user, then edit their notification preferences. There’s no way to do it in bulk. I’m not sure if this is helpful.

I know you said that you’re not a developer, but if you had access to someone with that skill set, it would be possible to manually create entries in the notification_subscription_settings database table, if you had a list of the user ids of the users you wanted to turn this off for. Getting those ids and performing this would work require some knowledge of SQL and probably PHP.

Best,
Jason

Thank you! That is very helpful, to be able to do this one person at a time is sufficient for my needs. Wonderful. Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 18 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.