Trouble with upgraded database

Hi,
i upgraded to ojs 3.0 but seem to have some issues with my database. The installation looks fine, but when I upgrade the old database (it says the uprading was successful) everything gets strange.

ojs uploader doesn’t work anymore and the whole setup wizard is not working or stucks while loading. It also seems that only some of the articles are can be found but not a single article can be opened.
I tried it again and again but the results are always the same.

Can anyone help me? I am desperate.
Boris

Hi @adm_sub,

The problem with the setup wizard may be related to this:
https://github.com/pkp/pkp-lib/issues/1795

There’s a link to a patch you can apply.

Otherwise, it sounds like you’re having trouble with your file storage area. Did you get any warnings during upgrade? Have you ensured that your file permissions are appropriate per docs/README?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi Alec
thanks for the reply. If I understand it correctly the patch asks me to change two lines in PKPTemplateManager.inc.php. Unfortunately this does not solve the problem with my wizard. The permissions are set as they should and i did not get any warnings during upgrade.

Regards,
Boris

Hi @adm_sub,

Have you checked your PHP error log for anything relevant?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

There is nothing in the error log that indicates any error with the wizard.

The only errors are roughly
500 lines that go like this and are all from the same time.

[11-Oct-2016 15:28:48 Europe/Berlin] WARNING: Unable to find a match for “48-136-1-??.htm”
in “files/journals/1//articles/48/”. Skipping this file.

Hi @adm_sub,

Lines like the one you quoted above indicate that the upgrade process was looking for a file in order to move it but was unable to locate it. If you have 500 lines like this it would explain why you can’t open published content – the upgrade process wasn’t able to locate it.

Can you check if a file with that name is in your files directory somewhere? (The ? symbols will match any single character.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi Alec

many files were indeed missing. I think there was a problem with uploading the files. I uploaded
the missing files and upgraded the the database again. This did work (though
all files are downloaded, not viewed) .
But the issue with the wizard remains and I can access neither the plugings nor other website settings.

Hi @adm_sub,

I suspect that the PDF.js plugin is disabled, which would explain why PDFs are downloading rather than viewing within the site (presuming you’re talking about PDFs). I see you’re mentioning the settings wizard – are you able to access the settings outside of the wizard, by using the sidebar (e.g. Settings > Website > Plugins)?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi Alec,
unfortunatley I can’t find a way to access the settings of plugins (or most of the other settings). The strange thing is that it is not only pdf files but also html files of our articles that are downloading rather than viewed.
Would there be any other way to export data from an old ojs to a ojs3? For example via exporting the issues (we only have nine issues so far) and everything works fine with an empty sql database?

Regards,
Boris

Hi @adm_sub,

Can you describe what happens when you try to access the setup areas? Have you checked your error log to see if there are useful messages there?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi Alec,
when I access the setup the “journal” area looks fine but most tabs the “website” area have problems. The uploader for the logo and other element do not work (though the uploader for the footer and the further content do work)
when it comes to “themes” I encounter stuff like “##plugins.themes.default.option.typography.label##”
And I think there are other parts missing of this tab missing

Tabs like “language” and “plugins” are not loaded at all. parts of the announcements are loaded

Other tabs like “static pages” do work sometimes but most of the times nothing happpens.

In the errorlog I find:
[20-Oct-2016 08:55:10 Europe/Berlin] PHP Warning: Division by zero in /home/suburban/public_html/ojs3/sys/lib/pkp/classes/core/ArrayItemIterator.inc.php on line 133
[20-Oct-2016 08:55:12 Europe/Berlin] PHP Warning: json_encode(): Invalid UTF-8 sequence in argument in /home/suburban/public_html/ojs3/sys/cache/t_compile/ee95f7bec9146c834ce3d162d0f9c24fae8db284^%%E9^E9A^E9A4A4CC%%linkActionOptions.tpl.php on line 23

Hi @adm_sub,

Ensure that the items_per_page and page_links settings in your config.inc.php are valid (and not zero); likewise, check these settings in the Appearance form.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi Alec,
these settings look fine.

Regards,
Boris

Hi @adm_sub,

Can you check for Javascript errors when trying to view the problem tabs? There’s a guide for doing this depending on which browser you’re using e.g. here.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi Alec,
this looks promising! I get errors like this

Without knowing what I am looking at I was surprised to see something that looks like German expressions in the error "Informationen(eigen). Does that mean anything?

Regards,
Boris

Hi @adm_sub,

Hmm, yes, those brackets are causing trouble. I don’t see “Informationen(eigen)” in the codebase, though I do think I recall seeing phrases like that show up in the German locale some time ago. Could this be something you’ve entered? @mtub, do you recall seeing/adding/removing these? (For the record, the problem is that the brackets need escaping, I’m just trying to track down where they’re coming from so I can replicate the problem locally.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi Alec,

this is strange. I just created a new journal within the same installation. An this “test”
journal seems to work perfectly well. this uploader looks good and plugins are loaded and so forth Though I need my old journal to work.

…/index.php/test/management/settings/website is ok
…/index.php/suburban/management/settings/website is broken

Best regards,
Boris

Hi Alec,

no, I have no memory of seeing this phrase.

Hi @adm_sub,

Would you mind looking through a database dump to see if/where “Informationen(eigen)” appears in it?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi Alec,

I just realized that this “informationen(eigen)” is the name of one of our own customized block plugins.
I deleted the plugin from the running ojs database but still get the same message
Regards,
Boris