Timing of when prepared emails are sent out

Hello,

What activates/prompts the system to auto-send the prepared email “Reviewer Register”, (midway down page 3 of prepared emails in the Journal Manager → Prepared Emails view) to get sent out?

When a journal identifies new people to ask to be reviewers, they (journal teams at my uni) independently then add them as a user in the system, marking their role as “reviewer.” However, the prepared email they get sent at this point is the generic email about being added to the system as a user. Then, if they are assigned to be a reviewer of a particular manuscript, they get the “Review request” email (page 4 of the prepared emails).

In any instance they don’s appear to be receiving the Reviewer Register email prompt.

Any assistance would be hugely appreciated :slight_smile:
Thanks
Rosarie

Hi @rcoughlan,

What version of OJS are you using?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Chiming in as we’re hosting for Rosarie - we’re on OJS 2.4.8.1

Hi @kaitlin and @rcoughlan,

The REVIEWER_REGISTER email template is only used when, as Section Editor or Editor, you create a new reviewer in the process of performing a review on a paper.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thank you Alec & Kaitlin. I am confirming that in order to tiger this email you have to be logged in as Section Editor or Editor? This cannot be triggered by the Journal Manager login/role? For this journal - the journal manager liaises with new reviewers not an editor.
Thanks
Rosarie

Hi @rcoughlan,

Yes, currently you’d need to be a Section Editor or Editor to send that email template. There is a potential work-around that you could consider – if you drop a URL somewhere to e.g…

http://.../index.php/[myJournal]/user/email?template=REVIEWER_REGISTER&to[]=me@there.com&usePostedAddresses=true

…you’ll send the manager that follows this link to a new form to edit an email based on that template, with the specified address included in the recipient address. You could consider dropping this into a template with the email address coming from a variable so that the JM has quick access.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi Alec,

Can you help with my journal teams followup qu:

"Ok, so it makes sense that you need to be Section Editor or Editor, but then where/how do you go to trigger that email? As Editor you don’t seem to have access to the “users enrolled in this journal” section, so it seems to me the only way you could send that email is when you assign a reviewer to a specific manuscript (there is already a different template for that which I have seen and which also works when you’re journal manager)—I want to be able to send the generic “hey we think you’re expertise aligns with our journal, so we’re enrolling you as a reviewer; hope that’s ok!” email without having it associated with a specific manuscript. "
Cheers

Hi @rcoughlan,

Your user is correct – the only way to send that message, currently, is associated with assigning them to a specific submission. The work-around I’ve suggested above, which will bring up an email template by opening a specially crafted URL, is an alternative.

Regards,
Alec Smecher