"This script is not compatible with PHP version : 8.1.0+" trying to install using Softaculous

Describe the issue or problem
Softaculous will not install OpenJoural in my new A2 Hosting account. It thinks that the current version of OpenJournal will not work with PHP version 8.1.

When I try to install, the Softaculous install screen yields this error message:

“The following errors were found :
This script is not compatible with PHP version : 8.1.0+
Do you wish to enable PHP 8.0.30 ? (Might cause issues with your existing installations).”

Softaculous is offering to downgrade my PHP version to 8.0.30, but I don’t think I want to do that.

Steps I took leading up to the issue
I am using the Softaculous system set up in A2 hosting’s shared hosting system.

I’m prepared to hear that this is a Softaculous problem. I’m also prepared to hear that I should try manually installing, possibly with one file modified. I would love to hear how to get Softaculous to remedy their stuff or that this is a known issue that I can handle by doing [something] – thanks!

Additional information
Please add any screenshots, logs or other information we can use to investigate this problem.

Hi @AMT,

This is a Softaculous thing, I’m afraid. But can I ask – what version of OJS are you installing?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

It seems Softaculous might not be updated for the latest version of OpenJournal (OJS 3.4.3). To proceed, I recommend trying the manual installation through your hosting panel.

1. Login to Hosting Panel: Access your hosting panel.
  2. Navigate to Installation Section: Find the installation section and initiate the installation of OpenJournal (OJS 3.4.3).
  3. Follow Installation Steps: Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process.

This manual approach should help you bypass the Softaculous compatibility issue. If you encounter any difficulties during the process, feel free to reach out for further assistance.

I’d glanced at the Softaculous version and thought it was the current version - Softaculous at A2 is trying to install 3.4.0.3, while today the current version of OpenJournal is apparently 3.4.3. Not actually the same version, but easy to confuse.

There is a button to notify Softaculous of a new version of the software - I’ll try that.

Thank you! I’ll look into that - it would be good to know there’s another “easy” automatic option (rather than going all FTP/command line).

Hi all,

There appears to be some confusion here – OJS stands for “Open Journal Systems” (I think OpenJournal is probably a typo), and the latest release is 3.4.0-3 as Softaculous states. There is no version 3.4.3 (at least not yet).

(@Nive, are you generating forum responses through ChatGPT or similar? If so, please don’t – ChatGPT tends to get details wrong that will be confusing to users trying to follow the instructions.)

@AMT, OJS 3.4.0-x currently requires PHP 8.0.2 as its baseline; I suspect the folks maintaining the Softaculous entry for OJS set the baseline higher than it really needs to be. But we’re not in direct contact with them so I suspect you’d have to follow up there.

Thanks,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

You are right about the confusion. Probably everything else too. Thank you.

Oh i see take care in future