Template probrlems upgrading from ojs 2.2.1 to 2.3.6

Hi,
Have just upgraded from 2.2.1 to 2.3.6 (full package). I createad a copy of the live 2.2.1 so I could test on it.
Then I moved into upgrading to 2.3.6. I deleted all files except /files and /public and renamed config.inc.
I uploaded a stock copy of a 2.3.6 (except /public), and set the 2.3.6 config.inc to have de same values as the old renamed config.inc, but with installed=Off.
I proceeded to upgrading via web interface. The process concluded successfully. All data is there. I cleared my browser cache, and the theme disappeared. My 2.3.6 seems not to have any design theme at all nor template. It looks like an ancient html web page with not a proper user interface. Furthermore content editor boxes for configuration won’t display any interface, and text in them comes out in html format.
Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.
Regards,
Juan

When you themed 2.2.1, did you do so via custom CSS, via a custom plugin, or via custom template modifications? You may need to merge these customization back in.

Out of curiosity, why only upgrade to 2.3.6? That is a pretty old version.

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
My original live 221 has a customized template, which I don’t want anymore. In the 221 copy I got rid of the template and applied no themes, so I could have a clean start for migration. For doing this I just set this parameters via administration of site and journal. My 221 copy hence had its traditional greenish default style, both for the site and the only journal I have.
It was when upgrading to 2.3.6 when the design went away.
I have set debug on in my config.inc and can see the following errors:

ojs2 has produced an error Message: WARNING: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home1/pasosonline/public_html/ojs221up/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php:377) In file: /home1/pasosonline/public_html/ojs221up/lib/pkp/classes/session/SessionManager.inc.php At line: 60 Stacktrace: Server info: OS: Linux PHP Version: 5.2.17 Apache Version: N/A DB Driver: mysql DB server version: 5.5.40-36.1

And the following one:
ojs2 has produced an error
Message: WARNING: Cannot modify header information - headers already
sent by (output started at
/home1/pasosonline/public_html/ojs221up/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php:377)
In file:
/home1/pasosonline/public_html/ojs221up/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPRequest.inc.php
At line: 86 Stacktrace: Server info: OS: Linux PHP Version: 5.2.17 Apache Version: N/A DB Driver: mysql DB server version: 5.5.40-36.1

Concerning your question about why 2.3.6, this is because this version is the one I found I need to step then to 2.4.7-1 or 2.4.8 with no problems.

Regards,
Juan

It is possible that the file permissions on ./files or ./public (or subdirectories) were sufficient for running the prior version, but not for the new version. For example, if the new version is trying to create new subdirectories, but the web user doesn’t have permission that might cause what you are seeing. Double check that the web user can write to everything under ./files and ./public, including those directories themselves.

If your ultimate goal is to get to 2.4.x, and the upgrade to 2.3.6 doesn’t list any error messages, you might just try an immediate upgrade to 2.4.x after 2.3.6 completes. Don’t even bother with trying to navigate in the final unthemed 2.3.6 interface.

Ok. Thanks for your fast answer. I’ll check and give it a try.
Regards,
Juan