Template files for a Theme

Here are my template files for my theme I am working on:

Template Structure:

/public_html/journals/plugins/themes/tutorial-theme/templates/frontend/components

• announcements.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/lib/pkp/templates/frontend/components)
  • breadcrumbs_article.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/lib/pkp/templates/frontend/components) OR /public_html/journals/templates/frontend/components
  • breadcrumbs_issue.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/templates/frontend/components)
  • breadcrumbs.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/templates/frontend/components)
  • editLink.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/lib/pkp/templates/frontend/components)
  • footer.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/lib/pkp/templates/frontend/components)
  • header.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/lib/pkp/templates/frontend/components)
  • headerHead.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/lib/pkp/templates/frontend/components)
  • notification.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/templates/frontend/components)
  • primaryNavMenu.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/templates/frontend/components)
  • registrationForm.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/lib/pkp/templates/frontend/components)
  • registrationFormContexts.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/lib/pkp/templates/frontend/components)
  • searchFilter.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/templates/frontend/components)
  • searchForm_simple.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/templates/frontend/components)

/public_html/journals/plugins/themes/tutorial-theme/templates/frontend/objects

• announcement_full.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/lib/pkp/templates/frontend/objects)
  • announcement_summary.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/lib/pkp/templates/frontend/objects)
  • article_details.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/templates/frontend/objects)
  • article_summary.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/templates/frontend/objects)
  • galley_link.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/templates/frontend/objects)
  • issue_summary.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/templates/frontend/objects)
  • issue_toc.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/templates/frontend/objects)

/public_html/journals/plugins/themes/tutorial-theme/templates/frontend/pages

• about.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/lib/pkp/templates/frontend/pages)
  • aboutThisPublishingSystem.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/templates/frontend/pages)
  • announcement.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/lib/pkp/templates/frontend/pages)
  • announcements.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/lib/pkp/templates/frontend/pages)
  • article.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/templates/frontend/pages)
  • contact.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/lib/pkp/templates/frontend/pages)
  • editorialTeam.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/lib/pkp/templates/frontend/pages)
  • error.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/lib/pkp/templates/frontend/pages)
  • indexJournal.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/templates/frontend/pages)
  • indexSite.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/templates/frontend/pages)
  • information.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/lib/pkp/templates/frontend/pages)
  • issue.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/templates/frontend/pages)
  • issueArchive.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/templates/frontend/pages)
  • issueInterstitial.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/templates/frontend/pages)
  • message.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/lib/pkp/templates/frontend/pages)
  • search.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/templates/frontend/pages)
  • searchAuthorDetails.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/templates/frontend/pages)
  • searchAuthorIndex.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/templates/frontend/pages)
  • submissions copied from (/public_html/journals/lib/pkp/templates/frontend/pages)
  • userLogin.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/lib/pkp/templates/frontend/pages)
  • userLostPassword.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/lib/pkp/templates/frontend/pages)
  • userRegister.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/lib/pkp/templates/frontend/pages)
  • userRegisterComplete.tpl copied from (/public_html/journals/lib/pkp/templates/frontend/pages)

I have had almost of successful so far. However whenever I edit the file
issue.tpl, issueArchive.tpl, issueInterstitial.tpl
I see no changes in the site.

However if I edit other files, like footer.tpl, article.tpl, etc they work.

So what is wrong with my template structure for my theme?

Thank You

Hi @dave4math,

It looks like you’re asking about OJS. What version are you using? (Please include this in your posts.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Yes OJS 3.0.2, the latest version.

Hi @dave4math,

How are you determining which templates to override and whether they’re working or not? templates/frontend/pages/issueInterstitial.tpl, for example, is dead code that’s not used in OJS 3.0.2 and has been removed from the master codebase for the next release.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

I put the files in the directory and edit them. Then I see the changes in the website. The problem I was having was that the cache was causing disruption. So it takes a process to see the changes.
For example, I edit the file article_summary.less and the upload via ftp into the directory listed above. I can only see the changes after I have switched the theme from Mine back to default and then back again. Then I refresh the web page after I have meted the cache on my browser. So much time just to see a change.

Hi @dave4math,

When you change .less files, you’ll need to flush the CSS cache by deleting cache/*.css before reloading. When changing .tpl files, they should be re-generated on demand, but there are some cases where that may not happen – in that case, you can remove cache/t_compile/*.php to force regeneration.

Don’t forget that the more templates you override, the more code merging concerns you’ll have when you upgrade your OJS. If you find yourself needing to override dozens of templates, it’ll be a considerable maintenance concern.

Regards,
Alec Smecher