Tasks not loading for certain users

Hello,

Any update on this?

Thank you!
Best Regards

Hi @digitojs,

When you manually delete a review round, youā€™re probably leaving related entities in the database (particularly in the notifications table) related to that deleted entity. I donā€™t suggest intervening in the database like this, but if you do, make sure youā€™re cleaning up anything with assoc_type=523 (thatā€™s the PHP-side ASSOC_TYPE_REVIEW_ROUND constant) and assoc_id equal to your review_round_id.

I tried creating a second review round and wasnā€™t able to duplicate the behavior you described. Can you give me a step-by-step example? If youā€™re able to synthetically build the example, so much the better, as itā€™ll be easier to repeat.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hello @asmecher,

Thank you for your reply.
Actually, I cant replicate that behavior because it isnā€™t happening anymore and the user that was affected by it has no problems now. He can check the tasks menu again, and Iā€™m not sure what could have been the cause. If it happens again and I can duplicate it, Iā€™ll let you know step by step.

Regarding the other part of your comment, I have at least two users with that problem. And when they are logged in and access submissions or the taks menu, I added a print to the code and the assoc_type it logs is 517 and not 523. After that, the error shows up. I tried to track those review_assignments or review_rounds, but Iā€™m missing some idā€™s or other references. If I had wrote down the assignments I deleted it would be easierā€¦

Thank you,
Best regards

Hi @digitojs,

Not a surprise ā€“ thereā€™s quite a tangle of interrelated entities. If youā€™re looking to remove content from the database you might have better luck invoking the delete functions in the DAOs from within PHP, as they should take care of deleting related entities.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

Problem solved.
Thank you for your time and patience, this was a mess Iā€™ve complicated even more. There was no need to re-create DB entries or others, but for some reason I thought something was missing. Everything is clean now and no more related issues again!

Thank you!
Best regards

Hi @digitojs,

Glad to hear it!

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,
I think we should prohibit deletion of a section with at least one article connected in OJS.
After transition to OJS our journal managers found a lot of duplicating sections. They tried to delete them. So some articles might become ā€˜orphanedā€™. That is why I think we have those errors now.

Hi @Ph_We,

That should be the case ā€“ see Check if section has articles before deleting Ā· pkp/ojs@924289d Ā· GitHub (which is included in OJS 3.1.0).

Regards,
Alec Smecher

1 Like

Years later, Iā€™m reviving the topic. Iā€™ve been having the same problem for about a week. Tasks didnā€™t load and the loading circle was spinning forever. Our site is on a hosting account using cPanel and the log records were not as detailed as what you shared here. Maybe itā€™s due to OJS version difference, I donā€™t knowā€¦ Anyway; Thanks to what you wrote, I made an inference and solved the problem.

When we first set up OJS, we did some tests to understand the system and workflows. We couldnā€™t delete the submissions from the admin panel and I deleted these submissions from the database to avoid confusion when we start receiving real submissions. However, tasks of these submissions remained. I thought that OJS couldnā€™t load the tasks because these submissions were deleted and the notifications table and the submissions table were related, so I deleted the old notifications (Instead of directly associating it with the submission id, a different method was followed, so I could not detect the notifications associated with the submissions I deleted) from the notifications table in the database. So, problem solved.