Tasks - Defined

Recently, we enabled tasks on our OJS installation. We then started receiving lots of task completion notifications. So the Newbie question is as follows:
What are the tasks that are being run and where is the documentation describing what these tasks are doing? For all I know they could be beaming our articles to Mars and indexing them in MARS-MED. :slight_smile:Thanks! radjr

Hi @radjr,

What version of OJS are you using? (Please include this in your posts.)

What do the notifications look like?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

OJS 2.4.4.8, we get 8-10 at the same time.

Subject lines:
##plugins.importexport.medra.senderTask.name## - 592746bdbc8ac - Completed
Review reminder - 59271d967f6be - Completed
Usage statistics file loader task - 59271d8d5ca7c - Completed
DataCite automatic registration task - 59271d9674311 - Completed
etc…

Body of email
Your OJS installation automatically executed and finished this task and you
can download the log file here:
http://www.xxx/ojs-2.4.2/index.php/index/admin/downloadScheduledTaskLogFile?file=%23%23plugins.importexport.medra.senderTask.name%23%23-592746bdbc8ac-20170525.log

Thanks.

Hi @radjr,

Can you check your version again? There is no OJS 2.4.4-8.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Sorry. 2.4.8.1 Thanks.

Hi @radjr

Scheduled tasks send notification after they are executed, s. pkp-lib/ScheduledTask.inc.php at ojs-stable-2_4_8 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub.
Depending on the setting scheduled_tasks_report_error_only in your config.inc.php, the admin would get e-mail notifications either only in the case of an error or always (i.e. also in the case of warnings or notices that everything has completed).

There are many scheduled tasks in the system:

plugins/generic/objectsForReview/xml/scheduledTasks.xml
plugins/generic/booksForReview/xml/scheduledTasks.xml
plugins/generic/usageStats/scheduledTasks.xml
plugins/generic/pln/xml/scheduledTasks.xml
plugins/importexport/datacite/scheduledTasks.xml
plugins/importexport/crossref/scheduledTasks.xml
plugins/importexport/medra/scheduledTasks.xml
registry/scheduledTasks.xml

The default scheduled task is registry/scheduledTasks.xml.

How and which scheduled tasks are activated depends on if you are using a Cron job or AcronPlugin, s. Any howto "crontab" somewhere?.

It seems that you are using the AcronPlugin and that thus all scheduled tasks are executed?
What do you then see when you follow the link i.e. in the scheduled task log file? Is there any error?
How does the setting scheduled_tasks_report_error_only in your config.inc.php look like?
What scheduled tasks do you actually need?

Best,
Bozana

Hi Folks, As a followup, where can I find details on each scheduled task and what it does. We get notifications for all sorts of tasks that complete like ##plugins.importexport.medra… ; Usage Stats…; PKP PLN Depositor; DataCite…; etc

I would like to know more about what these tasks are doing and determine if a) our system is configured correctly and b) do we need to run all these tasks.

Can someone point me to that documentation? I could not find details in the docs. Thanks!