Suspicious Activity email uncomplete

We are getting emails from OJS stating the following however the transaction from paypal completes as we get a matching report from PayPal. Note the field are as the arrived in the email. Where should we check under the OJS hood for issues? Thanks.

Open Journal Systems saw an unusual activity in the PayPal Payments module
functioning in the journal {$ journalName}. Further study of this issue or
manual intervention may be required.

This letter is created by PayPal module Open Journal Systems.
Full request information:
{$ PostInfo}
Additional information (if available):
{$ AdditionalInfo}
Server data:
{$ ServerVars}

Journal of Opioid Management

Hi @radjr,

This is probably related to Payment details just stop showing up.

The email is supposed to contain helpful information in place of the {$additionalInfo} variables etc. Does it not? Did you modify this template somehow? (I see you have {$ AdditionalInfo} rather than {$additionalInfo}, for example.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

We did not modify any templates for this part of OJS as we did not know where they were! :wink:

The text in that post is as it was sent to our mailbox. It seems it is not populating the variable data??

It seems that people are not getting their email and link to the article. it that tied to it?

Hi @radjr,

You can see the text for those emails in the “Prepared Emails” area, looking for the PAYPAL_INVESTIGATE_PAYMENT template.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

This is what was in the template.

Open Journal Systems saw an unusual activity in the PayPal Payments module functioning in the journal {$ journalName}. Further study of this issue or manual intervention may be required.

{$ PostInfo}
{$ AdditionalInfo}
Server data:
{$ ServerVars}

Hi @radjr,

It looks like that template has been customized. The default text is what you see between the <body></body> elements in ojs/emailTemplates.xml at ojs-stable-2_4_8 · pkp/ojs · GitHub.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

I will look. Not sure how they are being changed. Thanks.

Certain OJS screens are in Russian or Ukrainian! Argh!

@asmecher Hi Alec, We again are seeing these suspicious activity emails again. Last time, they sort of resolved themselves. This time not so much. Is there a log file that contains details on the transaction and response from Paypal? This particular charge was a non-US charge and not verified. Not sure that makes any difference. Again we are on OJS 2.4.x Thanks!~

Hi @radjr,

The email itself should include debugging information.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Once again, there was no detail in the email copied below:
Open Journal Systems saw an unusual activity in the PayPal Payments module
functioning in the journal Journal of Opioid Management. Further study of
this issue or manual intervention may be required.

{$PostInfo}
{$AdditionalInfo}
Server data:
{$ServerVars}

Journal of Opioid Management
http://www.opioidmanagement.com

NOTE: I have confirmed that the template for that email above does NOT have capital letters in the beginning of variable names. For example: ($serverVars) is correct and on the system.

Hi @radjr,

Those capital letters are suspicious, and they have to be coming from somewhere. Did you check whether e.g. the erroneous capitals are in another language for that template?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Yes, I checked everywhere with grep.

I flushed the cached templates and will see if that continues. I am also going to restart the server. thanks

Hi @radjr,

The templates will be in the database, not the filesystem – check the “Prepared Emails” area.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Interesting, this was what was in the Investigate Paypal email.

Edit Email

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? PayPal ??? ??? ??? ???, ?? ??? ??? ???.

Email Template (English)

Subject
Body Open Journal Systems saw an unusual activity in the PayPal Payments module functioning in the journal {$journalName}. Further study of this issue or manual intervention may be required. This letter is created by PayPal module Open Journal Systems. Full request information: {$PostInfo} Additional information (if available): {$AdditionalInfo} Server data: {$ServerVars}

Richard A. DeVito Jr.
Publisher
Weston Medical Publishing, LLC, 470 Boston Post Road, Suite 301, Weston, MA 02493 USA
radjr@pnpco.com - 781-899-2702 ext. 107 - 781-899-4900 fax
Join us at the 2019 International Conference on Opioids, June 9-11, 2019
www.opioidconference.org http://www.opioidconference.org/

And, when I reset the email I got this below. So where do I go to reset this to English? Thanks!

Edit Email

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? PayPal ??? ??? ??? ???, ?? ??? ??? ???.

Email Template (English)

Subject
Body ??? Open Journal Systems ??? ??? ??? ? ??? ??? ??? PayPal ??? {$journalName}. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???. ??? ??? ??? ??? PayPal ??? Open Journal Systems. ??? ??? ??? ???: {$postInfo} ??? ??? (??? ???): {$additionalInfo} ??? ???: {$serverVars}

Richard A. DeVito Jr.
Publisher
Weston Medical Publishing, LLC, 470 Boston Post Road, Suite 301, Weston, MA 02493 USA
radjr@pnpco.com - 781-899-2702 ext. 107 - 781-899-4900 fax
Join us at the 2019 International Conference on Opioids, June 9-11, 2019
www.opioidconference.org http://www.opioidconference.org/

Hi @radjr,

I’m not sure what’s going on with all the question marks, but you can get the appropriate English language text from the file I linked above. Try editing the email in the Prepared Emails section of the setup area, and pasting that text in instead.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Sorry, The question marks are due to font issues. All question marks are in Russian. What is really troubling is that the text above the message editing box is in Russian too!

Rich Devito