Sugggest upgrade old version to 3

im new in OJS, so i have OJS version 2, and i want to upgrade, and i want consul about what happen if i upgrade the ojs, is there any loss data about indexing, or is there any loss data about article, what should i do, stay the same old version to make the e journal stable or upgrade the OJS.

actually im affraid of uppgrading because im affraid off the data loss after upgrading.

thank you.

See in the docs/UPGRADE.md of your OJS 3.x tar file.

Recommended upgrade path is from 2.4.8-x to 3.1, then further. I would then upgrade to the last LTS version, e.g. 3.3.0-15. OJS 3.4 is not bug free in my opinion and lacks many plugins.
Do not forget always to make a backup of your database and your files to have a save fallback point. Best is to have separate test and production environments.

To our experience, and when closely following the update instructions, no data loss occurred.

1 Like

thank you for your reply, so it must be upgrade right, okay, im new in ojs, about how to backup, i have only backup the journal, is there any tutorial, that i have to take ? because what i see, when upgrading to the newer ojs, form any article there always error, so im affraid of upgrading. but if there any doc or tutorial how to, backup dan update. im appriacte to lear,

thank you

We wrote this howto to help in this process:
https://docs.pkp.sfu.ca/dev/upgrade-guide/en/

Is a detailed steep-by-steep guide where you can also read about the backup (that is VERY important when moving from 2.x to 3.x).

Write here if you have any doubts or you need help.

Cheers,
m.

2 Likes