Submiting a revised version does not changes the situation of the manuscript

We are using OCS 2.3.6 for a conference. We have manuscripts that have been reviewed by different reviewers and sent back to the authors asking for changes by the “Track Director”. The author has uploaded a new version of the manuscript that now appears as new version or “author version”

Form the author point of view a new version is uploaded and has the possibility of uploading new files or deleting the ones uploaded. But is not clear for him that the submission process has finished.

This is an example in wich the author has uploaded two files that receive consecutive version numbers. And the status for the author is that the manuscript is still “Under review”

The reviewer has no access to this files, it appears to him as if the revision has been archived. And the “Track director” has no possibility to giving the reviewer a new access to the new version of the manuscript. Only the “Track directors” have access to the manuscripts.

Regards,

Javier

Hi @Javier_Bustamante_Di,

OCS doesn’t by design support multiple rounds of review – unfortunately reviewers only get a single crack at the submission. Typically we’ve found that most conferences hardly even have time for a proper single round of peer review. After that round is complete it’s up to the director to decide on the submission and potentially mediate further changes with the author.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi Alec,

Thank you very much for the info. It is true that most conferences do not engage in thorough peer-review. We will take this into account to manage our papers. In any case it would be good to have the possibility of an e-mail message indicating that a new version has been uploaded. Some authors are unsure if the new file has been uploaded correctly. And the Track-editors some times do not check and are expecting e-mail messages when the new version is uploaded.

Javier

Hi Alec,

Is it true of OJS as well? I’m new to it and trying to work out how authors can submit a revised version of their paper and how editors and reviewers are notified of the revision and can act on it. That’s not clear to me and I’ll second Javier in that it’ll be even less clear to authors.

Thanks

Joris

Hi @joris,

For OJS 2.x, if an author is revising a submission in review, the Editor should record a “Revisions Required” decision and then use the envelope to contact the author to notify them. The email should then specify that the author needs to log in and upload a revised version, and then notify the editor using the envelope icon when that’s done.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

The final step here is the author notifying the editor when the revision is uploaded, correct?

Hi @ctgraham,

Yes, thanks – I’ve fixed that typo.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi Alec, this is also my problem - except that I cannot even see the uploaded files unless I login as the author. Not in the track director or reviewer or even director roles can I see the files. I’m trying to get this to work but without much success. Also our review forms are not showing on the submissions even though the reviewers have been trying to complete them. Thanks, Freyni

Does this still apply for OCS because we sometime do multiple rounds of review.

Hi @nazli,

OCS hasn’t changed since the original post. Not that we aren’t currently developing OCS – if you need newer features you might consider using OJS or OMP to manage submissions.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

@asmecher thank you for your response it is greatly appreciated,

I do have another question. We are hosting a big conference and i have been requested to register all the authors. Is there are way that i can received a copy of the email that the authors will receive with their usernames and passwords?

Hi @nazli,

Could you post that question as a new topic? That’ll help keep the forum organized.

Thanks,
Alec Smecher