Submission track names of files

Hi,
I do not know if this is an mistake or bug but I noticed a pretty big problem (or the settings of our journal perhaps are wrong). When the author submits his work, submission file is named with pattern [user name], [role], [the original file name], this name shows through the whole editing process, including peer review. If using a double-blind review, reviewers should not have information on the name and surname of the author, but on user registration we sugest that their usernames are assembled of name and surname, and even a OJS automatically create username from the first letter of the name of person and surname. In this case blind reviews doesn’t have much sense. Is this a fault in the system or maybe some of our settings?

We are using OJS 3.0.2.0

Looking trough Git, I have found topic Issue that is related to this File revision names · Issue #2235 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub so i will tag @bozana @ajnyga

As you probably saw, I have criticized the current file naming in Github, but mainly from different reasons.

The scenario you described should not happen. When you have a file in submission stage and choose the send the submission to the review stage, the file should be renamed and the author username should be removed. Could you doublecheck that the scenario above always happens? That said, I remember having one similar situation mentioned by one of our journals a month ago. But as I said, that should not happen.

Hi, I have checked this about 10 times today, I was clearing cache and every time it is the same thing, usernames are shown in review, but when reviewer downloads file it is named properly like 1901-99Z_Текст чланка-3464-1-4-20170420.docx

The filename you talked about above (username, author, filename) is basically a label, not the actual filename that opens when you click the label/link.

So just to check. When you have a submission in the submission stage, you have a filename like this:
username, author, filename
When you then click on “Send to review” and move to the review stage, the filename you see in the review files panel is still the same?

If so, that should not happen.

Yes, that is situation. I know that it shouldn’t be like this because blind peer review doesn’t have sens. Is there something that I could look or do to fix this?

You could start by checking that these values are correct in your translations:
https://github.com/pkp/pkp-lib/blob/master/locale/en_US/common.xml#L148-L149

I have checked those strings and they are ok.

Regarding the above screenshots, was that submission already in the review stage when you upgraded from OJS2?

And about the first screenshot: there is no participants list there at all?

No, all submissions are fresh (for every test i create new submission), first screenshot is author interface.

For some odd reason, file names are changed now :frowning: but I don’t know where was a problem

ah ok sorry, should had opened a larger image.

you solved it, go get a cup of coffee! :smiley:

If you can reproduce the problem do a repost. As I said, one of our journals experienced something similar, but I am not sure what was the cause.

:slight_smile: Thanx for suggestions and help @ajnyga I think that it was solved due changing settings of review process (think that some old settings has left in database).

True! I instructed our journals to save their settings regardless what they looked like after the upgrade.

Even if the review setting is showing double blind after the upgrade, it is not necessarely so. I forgot to mention this in January @bozana!

@ajnyga
Here’s something very strange, if i’m sending submission to reviewing process and adding reviewer as journal manager (administrator) names do not change, but if I do it as an section editor, everything is fine unless section editor has to make changes to document, in that case if he uploads revision, name isn’t changed, if he uploads file as new, than in send to review stage name is changed according to pattern

Hi @knjigor

Have you managed to solve the problem?
I’ve just tested locally: no mater if I am admin, journal manager or section editor, the file names in the “Review Files” grid are always without the username in it…

Best,
Bozana

Hi @ajnyga

Do you maybe know what settings, so that I can take a look?

Thanks!
Bozana

@bozana
No, I didn’t, and i can’t find straight pattern, for now, if I change file as SecE and upload it with same name, it is named as it is uploaded by author, only way when filenames are changed correctly is if SecE send it directly to Rew, and that isn’t case in most of submissions. Is there a way to clean database from old versions

Here is video on youtube of problem in different situations

I think the issue was that in OJS2 there was no review type setting (open, blind, double blind). So after the upgrade when you go to the Workflow=>Review settings page it seems that you have double blind selected, but in reality there is no actual setting behind it. Double blind is only selected because it is the first radio button in that group.

Or was this solved already :smiley:

Anyway, I am not sure whether it would affect the issue described above. I can not reproduce it at least for now.