Some translated strings not showing up

Hello All,

I’m using OJS3.1 in 2 languages - English and Polish. I have the translator plugin enabled and I’ve translated some strings in addition to the ones that are already translated. These strings are properly saved in the correct xml file, yet they do not show up on the website (neither in frontend nor backend). An example would be “navigation.about” key. I’m pasting below a list of files containing that key:

# grep navigation.about ./* -R
./cache/fc-locale-a307b62098819fe229dfaeea8e5f5d94.php:  'navigation.about' => 'O nas',
./cache/fc-locale-03b174b61510807426c2a2c128f6a86a.php:  'navigation.about' => 'About',
./lib/pkp/locale/en_US/common.xml:      <message key="navigation.about">About</message>
./lib/pkp/locale/pl_PL/common.xml:      <message key="navigation.about">O nas</message>
[cut other locales]
./lib/pkp/classes/services/PKPNavigationMenuService.inc.php:                            'title' => __('navigation.about'),
./registry/navigationMenus.xml:         <navigationMenuItem title="navigation.about" type="NMI_TYPE_ABOUT">
./templates/frontend/components/primaryNavMenu.tpl:                             {translate key="navigation.about"}

What I gather from that:

1. string is localized in en_US and in pl_PL
  2. key ID looks the same, it’s not changed in any way
  3. code refers correctly to the key ID
  4. files in cache are generated correctly with localized strings

And yet, looking on frontend, where in English I see “About”, in Polish I only get “navigation.about”. I can’t understand why it is like that. Most strings from common.xml work fine, some just don’t. If my observations are correct, the ones that don’t have something to do with menus, navigation etc.

Could anyone point me to the right direction: what’s not OK with these strongs and what can I do to make them work? They were working just yesterday in OJS3.0.2, stopped working in 3.1.

Thanks a lot,
Witold

Hi @witold,

There was an issue in OJS 3.1 with all menu items not being translated. It has been fixed for OJS 3.1.0.1 and there is a patch available if you don’t want to upgrade right now. Please see https://github.com/pkp/pkp-lib/issues/29877 for more information.

Best,
Amanda Stevens
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @astevens,

thanks for the reply. I already have OJS 3.1.0.1 - sorry, I should have been more precise from the beginning - and the issue is present.

To be sure, I’ve re-downloaded http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/download/ojs-3.1.0-1.tar.gz and ran the upgrade procedure again. The problem persists.

Witold

Hi @astevens, @witold,

I can confirm the issue still exists in OJS 3.1.0-1. But it seems to be related to the Main Menu only:

1 Like

Hi @witold and @Ph_We,

I apologize, I was wrong when I said that the fix had been applied in 3.1.0-1. Looking more closely at the Git issue now, I see that it was missed. It will be part of 3.1.1 but until then there is a fix offered in this post.

Best,
Amanda Stevens

1 Like

Use google translate. Best it is!

Thank you @astevens. Manually adjusting DB is not something I particularly enjoy. Do you know when the 3.1.1 should be released? If it’s a long wait, then I’ll apply the suggested fix.

Best,
Witold

Hi @witold ,

I understand that! An exact release date for 3.1.1 is not currently set, but it will probably be within the next month or 2. You can monitor progress here: OJS/OMP 3.1.1 Milestone · GitHub

Best,
Amanda Stevens