Server error accessing non-open-access issues in 3.1.2-3

Problem: 500 http error accessing issues, for which Access is set to Subscription.
What I did:

  1. Clean install of OJS 3.1.2-3, create journal and set basic configurations.
  2. imported sql tables ‘genre_settings’, ‘genres’, ‘section_settings’, ‘sections’ from my production site.
  3. Imported sample issues via native XML plugin from my production site
  4. set ‘The journal will require subscriptions to access some or all of its contents.’ option
  5. for some issues, set access to ‘Subscription’ and choose some open access date.

Result:
Browsing Archive, trying to enter protected issue get 500 http error,
for Open Access issues the things are OK.

On my production site with 3.1.2-1 the same issues are shown as expected (with locked pdfs)

Server log message on error:
[Wed Dec 04 13:42:58.628075 2019] [php7:error] [pid 6045] [client ::1:38894] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Function name must be a string in /var/www/html/vo/ojs/pages/issue/IssueHandler.inc.php:348\nStack trace:\n#0 /var/www/html/vo/ojs/pages/issue/IssueHandler.inc.php(104): IssueHandler::_setupIssueTemplate(Object(Request), Object(Issue), false)\n#1 /var/www/html/vo/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPRouter.inc.php(390): IssueHandler->view(Array, Object(Request))\n#2 /var/www/html/vo/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPPageRouter.inc.php(231): PKPRouter->_authorizeInitializeAndCallRequest(Array, Object(Request), Array, false)\n#3 /var/www/html/vo/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/core/Dispatcher.inc.php(134): PKPPageRouter->route(Object(Request))\n#4 /var/www/html/vo/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.inc.php(252): Dispatcher->dispatch(Object(Request))\n#5 /var/www/html/vo/ojs/index.php(68): PKPApplication->execute()\n#6 {main}\n thrown in /var/www/html/vo/ojs/pages/issue/IssueHandler.inc.php on line 348, referer: http://localhost./index.php/umzh/issue/archive

Update: This whong behaviour is version-related.
On my laptop, I removed all files but config.php.inc in the ojs directory, unpacked files from 3.1.2-1, ran php upgrade.php upgrade, chown’ed all files to the webserver user, and all works fine.
Repeated the same with 3.1.2-2, and the problem is again there.

Hi @Vasyl_Ostrovskyi,

This is https://github.com/pkp/pkp-lib/issues/5315 – there’s a patch attached there that you can apply to fix the problem.

Note that we’ll be releasing a new build shortly to address this.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team