Select reviewers taking too long

Hello everyone,

I have a complicated problem with ojs-2.4.8-5.
When admin tries to select a reviewer for an article (link http://my-site.com/index.php/site/editor/selectReviewer/[article_code]) the system takes about 2 minutes to display the reviewers.

I tried several settings on the tables, but I can’t reduce this response time.

I’ve changed all the tables to innodb, which reduced the response from 5 minutes to 2 minutes.

What can I do to improve this response time?

Regards

Renato L. Sousa

Hi @rensousa,

Can you describe the clauses you identified that are slowing things down?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @asmecher,

Yes, I have identified the following clauses that consume together approximately 1min 30 sec:

Clause SQL #1

SELECT DISTINCT u.user_id, u.last_name, ar.review_id, (SELECT AVG(ra.quality) FROM review_assignments ra WHERE ra.reviewer_id = u.user_id) AS average_quality, (SELECT COUNT(ac.review_id) FROM review_assignments ac WHERE ac.reviewer_id = u.user_id AND ac.date_completed IS NOT NULL AND ac.cancelled = 0) AS completed, (SELECT COUNT(ac.review_id) FROM review_assignments ac, articles a WHERE ac.reviewer_id = u.user_id AND ac.submission_id = a.article_id AND ac.date_notified IS NOT NULL AND ac.date_completed IS NULL AND ac.cancelled = 0 AND ac.declined = 0 AND a.status <> 1) AS incomplete, (SELECT MAX(ac.date_notified) FROM review_assignments ac WHERE ac.reviewer_id = u.user_id AND ac.date_completed IS NOT NULL) AS latest, (SELECT AVG(ac.date_completed-ac.date_notified) FROM review_assignments ac WHERE ac.reviewer_id = u.user_id AND ac.date_completed IS NOT NULL AND ac.cancelled = 0) AS average FROM users u LEFT JOIN review_assignments ra ON (ra.reviewer_id = u.user_id) LEFT JOIN review_assignments ar ON (ar.reviewer_id = u.user_id AND ar.cancelled = 0 AND ar.submission_id = 2507 AND ar.round = 1) LEFT JOIN roles r ON (r.user_id = u.user_id) LEFT JOIN articles a ON (ra.submission_id = a.article_id) WHERE u.user_id = r.user_id AND r.journal_id = 2 AND r.role_id = 4096 GROUP BY u.user_id, u.last_name, ar.review_id

If executed directly in mysql CLI returns:

2455 rows in set (43.01 sec)

Clause SQL #2

SELECT DISTINCT u.user_id, u.last_name, ar.review_id, (SELECT AVG(ra.quality) FROM review_assignments ra WHERE ra.reviewer_id = u.user_id) AS average_quality, (SELECT COUNT(ac.review_id) FROM review_assignments ac WHERE ac.reviewer_id = u.user_id AND ac.date_completed IS NOT NULL AND ac.cancelled = 0) AS completed, (SELECT COUNT(ac.review_id) FROM review_assignments ac, articles a WHERE ac.reviewer_id = u.user_id AND ac.submission_id = a.article_id AND ac.date_notified IS NOT NULL AND ac.date_completed IS NULL AND ac.cancelled = 0 AND ac.declined = 0 AND a.status <> 1) AS incomplete, (SELECT MAX(ac.date_notified) FROM review_assignments ac WHERE ac.reviewer_id = u.user_id AND ac.date_completed IS NOT NULL) AS latest, (SELECT AVG(ac.date_completed-ac.date_notified) FROM review_assignments ac WHERE ac.reviewer_id = u.user_id AND ac.date_completed IS NOT NULL AND ac.cancelled = 0) AS average FROM users u LEFT JOIN review_assignments ra ON (ra.reviewer_id = u.user_id) LEFT JOIN review_assignments ar ON (ar.reviewer_id = u.user_id AND ar.cancelled = 0 AND ar.submission_id = 2507 AND ar.round = 1) LEFT JOIN roles r ON (r.user_id = u.user_id) LEFT JOIN articles a ON (ra.submission_id = a.article_id) WHERE u.user_id = r.user_id AND r.journal_id = 2 AND r.role_id = 4096 GROUP BY u.user_id, u.last_name, ar.review_id ORDER BY u.last_name ASC LIMIT 0,25

mysql CLI:

25 rows in set (43.18 sec)

The link that causes this delay is:
http://[myportal]/index.php/[mysite]/editor/selectReviewer/2507

What can I do to improve this?

Regards,

Renato

Hi @rensousa,

That’s the same query twice, once one with a LIMIT clause and once without. It’s an entire queries, not just a clause or two; I was hoping you might have done some inspection of the pieces of the query to see if you could identify the bottleneck. A heads-up that I probably won’t be able to dedicate a lot of time to it, as we’re focusing our time as much as possible on OJS 3.x – but can you run an EXPLAIN on the query above (without the LIMIT clause)?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

I had already run the explain command, but I confess that I didn’t quite understand the return.
Can you identify any bottlenecks here?
Should I execute each of the subqueries to identify which one consumes the most time?

+----+--------------------+-------+--------+-----------------------------------------------------------------+--------------------------------+---------+---------------------------+------+-----------------------------------------------------------+
| id | select_type        | table | type   | possible_keys                                                   | key                            | key_len | ref                       | rows | Extra                                                     |
+----+--------------------+-------+--------+-----------------------------------------------------------------+--------------------------------+---------+---------------------------+------+-----------------------------------------------------------+
|  1 | PRIMARY            | r     | ref    | roles_pkey,roles_journal_id,roles_user_id,roles_role_id         | roles_role_id                  | 8       | const                     | 2455 | Using where; Using index; Using temporary; Using filesort |
|  1 | PRIMARY            | u     | eq_ref | PRIMARY                                                         | PRIMARY                        | 8       | ojs2_rvq.r.user_id        |    1 |                                                           |
|  1 | PRIMARY            | ra    | ref    | review_assignments_reviewer_id                                  | review_assignments_reviewer_id | 8       | ojs2_rvq.r.user_id        |    1 |                                                           |
|  1 | PRIMARY            | ar    | ref    | review_assignments_submission_id,review_assignments_reviewer_id | review_assignments_reviewer_id | 8       | ojs2_rvq.u.user_id        |    1 |                                                           |
|  1 | PRIMARY            | a     | eq_ref | PRIMARY                                                         | PRIMARY                        | 8       | ojs2_rvq.ra.submission_id |    1 | Using index                                               |
|  6 | DEPENDENT SUBQUERY | ac    | ref    | review_assignments_reviewer_id                                  | review_assignments_reviewer_id | 8       | func                      |    1 | Using where                                               |
|  5 | DEPENDENT SUBQUERY | ac    | ref    | review_assignments_reviewer_id                                  | review_assignments_reviewer_id | 8       | func                      |    1 | Using where                                               |
|  4 | DEPENDENT SUBQUERY | ac    | ref    | review_assignments_submission_id,review_assignments_reviewer_id | review_assignments_reviewer_id | 8       | func                      |    1 | Using where                                               |
|  4 | DEPENDENT SUBQUERY | a     | eq_ref | PRIMARY                                                         | PRIMARY                        | 8       | ojs2_rvq.ac.submission_id |    1 | Using where                                               |
|  3 | DEPENDENT SUBQUERY | ac    | ref    | review_assignments_reviewer_id                                  | review_assignments_reviewer_id | 8       | func                      |    1 | Using where                                               |
|  2 | DEPENDENT SUBQUERY | ra    | ref    | review_assignments_reviewer_id                                  | review_assignments_reviewer_id | 8       | func                      |    1 |                                                           |

Hi @asmecher,

I tried to split SQL clauses to know which one consumes most of the time, but the LEFT JOIN directives confuse me to do this analysis. I get error executing only sub queries.

But I analyzed the number of records in each of the tables involved in this query:

• review_assignments: 6617
  • articles: 2952
  • roles: 6942
  • users: 4987

Are these values significant for a diagnostics?
How can I get a more accurate diagnosis to know what is going on?

Regards,

Renato

Hi @rensousa,

It looks like this is a re-post of [OJS 2.4.8-2] freezes when selecting Reviewers - #13 by rensousa, correct? Please don’t post the same issue multiple times; it clutters the forum and could cause repeat work. If you think your post has been forgotten, feel free to bump the old thread.

Thanks,
Alec Smecher

I’m sorry for that @asmecher ! I hadn’t really thought about how this could cause problems. :cry:
I will reuse the old thread.

Regards,

Renato