Select article reviews missing in OJS

Hello, we are currently running on OJS 3.2.1. We received a question from the editor of one of our journals that said they had two separate articles currently under review in OJS in which the review details were submitted but then went missing. In both instances, the reviewers submitted their reviews through the system successfully. The editor read the reviews, and then sent the reviewers a thank you through the OJS system. The editor later went to send a notification to the authors and re-read the reviews.

In one instance, the editor found that the Review Details for 1 of the 4 reviewers was no longer in the system; clicking on the Review Details button to view the feedback simply generates a blank form, but curiously includes a time stamp for when the review was completed:

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 2.03.54 PM

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 2.04.10 PM

In a similar instance, the editor found that the review details for 1 of the 3 reviewers was no longer in the system, but again includes a time stamp for when the review was completed:

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 2.05.22 PM

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 2.05.31 PM

Only these two articles from this one journal was effected. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Hi @nwojcik,

Did you upgrade your OJS instant recently? I am seeing reports here on the forum as similar issues cropping that relate to the OJS instance having been upgraded.

-Roger
PKP Team

Hi Roger,
We upgraded to 3.2.1 over the summer of 2021.

Hi @nwojcik,

Thanks for clarifying. I’m not sure what the issue might be, but it might be worth checking your php error logs to see if there are any relevant errors there. I can see if one of our other team members can weigh in to make suggestions when they are available.

Best regards,

Roger
PKP Team

Hi @rcgillis,

I’m a colleague of @nwojcik , and I’m responsible for the administration of OJS. I’ve examined our php logs for entries around the time that these reviews were submitted (based on the date/time in the screenshots and in the system.

For one of the reviews in question, there are no error log entries for that journal on that day.

For the other review (the one with the date/time stamp of 2021-11-23 12:35 PM), the only errors for that journal generated during that time are as follows:

[23-Nov-2021 12:37:17 America/Chicago] PHP Warning:  Declaration of EmailReviewerForm::execute($submission) should be compatible with Form::execute(...$functionArgs) in /srv/journals.shareok.org/sites/jcscore/ojs-3.2.1-4/lib/pkp/controllers/grid/users/reviewer/form/EmailReviewerForm.inc.php on line 18
[23-Nov-2021 12:37:44 America/Chicago] PHP Warning:  Declaration of EmailReviewerForm::execute($submission) should be compatible with Form::execute(...$functionArgs) in /srv/journals.shareok.org/sites/jcscore/ojs-3.2.1-4/lib/pkp/controllers/grid/users/reviewer/form/EmailReviewerForm.inc.php on line 18

Apart from those warnings, I didn’t notice anything else. Would the errors above have anything to do with the submissions showing up as blank?

We’re currently running OJS 3.2.1-4 with PHP 7.3 and nginx 1.18.0

Thanks,
James (@jrmitchell)

Hello @jrmitchell,

Thanks for providing this info. Not entirely sure what this error might point to, but I will pass these along to some of my team members who will weigh in when they are able to.

Best regards,

Roger
PKP Team