Section editor is assigned automatically in OJS 3.0.2

Hi,

if there is only one section editor, s/he ist assigned to a new submission automatically even if s/he is not assigned to the section the submission is assigned to.

Is this a bug or is it done on purpose? Automatically assigning managers and editors seems to be okay, but as section editors have restricted access, I would not expect such an automatic assignement.

best,
Carola

Hi @carola,

Yes, that’s expected behavior. If you’d rather not have this occur, I’d suggest removing the section editor from the section’s list (but otherwise leaving them enrolled as a section editor). Alternately, add another section editor to the list; the single user situation is treated as a special case.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @asmecher,

the one section editor there is is not assigned to any section. Still she is automatically assigned to any article submitted to section “Articles”.

best,
Carola

Yes, that is the intended behaviour. I was wondering about the very same thing a few months back and was sure that it is a bug: [OJS] OJS 3.0: Section editor gets assigned to all submissions · Issue #1962 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub

My solution was to assign a section editor role to the editor as well.

Hi @carola,

Ah, my mistake – it looks like you’re right. I’ve filed this at Prevent section editor auto-assignments outside section assignments · Issue #2313 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub – please watch for a patch to appear there, and if you’re able, give it a try after code review and let me know whether it resolves the issue for you.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team