Salutations in notifications not working - email variables not instantiated

Hi - we are using OJS 3.2.1.1. The email template “New notification from {$siteTitle}” instantiates $siteTitle correctly as the journal name. Inside the email the salutation says “Dear {$participantUsername}”. When the email is sent out, this variable is not instantiated and the salutation looks verbatim as above. I also tried some other variables, namely {$userFullName}
and {$username}. They also went through verbatim.

I have searched for a master list of email variables (this question has been asked before) and didn’t find a satisfactory answer.

Any ideas on how to deal with this without just deleting the salutation completely?

Hi @Mark_C_Wilson,

None of those variables are available to the NOTIFICATION email template, which is a very general-purpose notification and isn’t intended to contain an address. ({$participantUsername} isn’t included in the OJS codebase by default, and is probably from an earlier attempt to find the right variable name.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Thanks a lot. I would appreciate seeing what the notification template looks like in its cleanly installed state - we must have mutated it somehow although I don’t remember doing that.

Hi @Mark_C_Wilson,

That’s coded here: ojs/emails.po at stable-3_2_1 · pkp/ojs · GitHub

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team