Role for associate editors

In one of my journals we have 3 Associate Editor. I created a role based on Section Editor standard permissions and these editors should be able to notify the author of decisions.
In the role configuration the option “This role is only allowed to recommend a review decision and will require an authorised editor to record a final decision.” is NOT flagged, so I assume they can notify the authors.
However, it does not work so: one editor, with the same role, was able to notify the authors and move the manuscript to copy-editing, another could not and could only notify the journal of his decision.
Can anyone suggest a way to make sure all Associate editors have the same permissions? It is rather embarrassing…
Lucia

Hi @lsteele,

Do any of these associate editors have any assigned other roles within the journal?

Kind Regards,
Patricia M.

When a manuscript is assigned to an editor, whoever assigns it has the option of restricting the assignee to only suggesting a decision. The flag you mentioned controls the default state of the checkbox, but individual assignments may deviate from the configuration.

1 Like

Hi Patricia,
yes some of these roles may also be reviewers. It starts to shed some light.
L.

Dear Leonardo,
yes you can selectively restrict decisions for editors on assigning.
However, It does not really explain why an editor cannot make a decision. Maybe the step “notify author” is configured elsewhere?

Sorry Patricia,
I confused thread. I still do not figure out why this happens. But yes an editor has also a reviewer role, and author of course…
L:

Hi @lsteele,

As long as they were assigned the same Associate editor role they should be able to record a decision. Is it possible that the assigning editor might have enabled this additional box during the assignment?

Kind Regards,
Patricia M.

Hello Patricia,
I don’t think so, as I assign editors and I am aware of this limitation.
I will pay more attention in future, but this is still an open question.
Thank you for following up on this, I appreciated your support,
Lucia

Hello Patricia,
I am writing to you again, as I still have problems with handling submissions assigned to an associate editor. I have major issues as follows:
a) when the associate editor makes a decision, it needs the editor in chief to inform the authors. He cannot inform the authors directly
b) if the editor in chief informs the authors, then the letter is signed by the eic, thus lowering the role of the associate editor.

My editors are not happy with this: is there any way around? ideally the associate editor should be able to request a revision to the authors, leaving only accept/reject to the eic.
Any experience from others is welcome…
Lucia

I have reviewed the role config but it appears that the option to notify authors is available:

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 11.11.10

I am very confused… and it leads to some complaints from both eic and associate.
L.

Can you share screenshots showing step-by-step what happens from an associate editor’s perspective? If they are assigned an editorial role and have permission to make decisions, they should also be able to notify the author. The most likely case here is that there is a miscommunication and step-by-step screenshots or a video may clear that up.

1 Like