Reviewing Interests pasted as graphic?

I’m transitioning to OJS from an existing editorial management system. I’m trying to copy and paste into the Reviewing Interests field from the corresponding field in my exported data (I’m doing this one by one since we only have 130 reviewers). When I paste the text from my Excel spreadsheet, it seems to be pasting as a graphic. I also pasted to Notepad and then to OJS, and it still looks like a graphic. I’m concerned that this will not be interpreted correctly when we’re trying to match reviewers to a potential paper for review.

Hi @achristian,

This is a limitation of the third-party “Tag-It” control we’re using; it’s discussed over on their code repository:

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi Alec, and thanks for all you do!
Just to clarify: does this mean that there’s nothing we can do to customize our own OJS installation so that this “graphic pasting” behavior doesn’t happen? Or does this mean there is a correction we can make on our end?

Hi @pkpForTaclSupport,

The problem is that you’re expecting TagIt to interpretet semicolons (;) as separators between different interests. When you paste something into TagIt, though, it interprets everything that you pasted as a single reviewing interest.

The issue linked above hasn’t been resolved in the TagIt library, but there are two suggested modifications you could make to TagIt in your installation that would change the behavior. (At a glance, these try to look for whitespace and commas as separators; you’d want to change this to semicolons.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team