Restrict Access to Only Article PDF

Hi all,

I would like to know if there is a way that we could have an article with 2 types of files, lets say HTML article galley and PDF article galley, and the first to be open for someone to read, and the second to require subscription.

One of our client need its users to have access to read but not download an articles that requires subscription.

We use OJS 2.4.6.

Thank you in advance.

Hi @Dimitris_Efstathiou,

Under Journal Management > Subscriptions > Payments, there’s a checkbox option called “Only Restrict Access to PDF version of issues and articles”. I think that’s what you’re looking for.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Thank you Alec for the prompt answer!

That check box is checked, I uploaded an HTML file as a galley file and the HTML needs subscription too for some reason.

Should I enable something else as well?

Thank you in advance.

Hi @Dimitris_Efstathiou,

I think @mfelczak might be able to help – he knows this area best.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @Dimitris_Efstathiou,

In OJS an article is either open access or subscription, regardless of how many galleys are available to readers, so this isn’t possible via just the subscription settings.

You can use the option in Payments => Purchase Article => ‘Only Restrict Access to PDF version of issues and articles’, but you will need to first setup ‘Purchase Article’ and PayPal payments.

More generally, I would inform your client that readers can still save, print, and copy-and-paste HTML galleys even if there’s no file to download.

Cheers,
Michael

@mfelczak thank you for your answer.

The client is already informed about that, but its a welcome advice.

Could you be more specific on the “but you will need to first setup ‘Purchase Article’ and PayPal payments” part of the answer?

Thank you in advance.

Hi @Dimitris_Efstathiou,

Please see the following:

Although the documentation is for an older version of OJS, the payments settings are still the same in OJS 2.4.x.

Cheers,
Michael

Hi @mfelczak, thank you for your answer.

Hi @mfelczak, i happened to learn of existance of OJS this late but i hope you guys can still help.

in regard to :

There are these fields in OJS;

So my question is, where exactly are these fees used?. Because in subscriptions, one has to define subscription fee and in open access, no fees.

Thanks in Advance

Hi @otuya1,

Purchase options will be presented to readers who try to access subscription content but who do not have a valid subscription. The reader can either purchase a subscription to access all subscription content or purchase the individual item (article or issue) without a subscription.

Cheers,
Michael

Thank you so much @mfelczak, I get it now. But does this work for OJS 302? Am not seeing the reader fees in this version(3.0.2).

Hi @otuya1,

OJS 3.0.2 does not include support for subscriptions or online payments. These will be included in the OJS 3.1 release later this Fall.

Cheers,
Michael

Okay, thank you for that info… i’ll wait for the release