Removing sexist language

Can the default email notification message that comes with the software be revised to ensure all pronouns are gender neutral? For example, for an editor decline template email, it has the text, “This email is send to the author if the editor declines his submission initially, before the review stage.” I would vote in favour of using “their submission.” Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @virvine,

Yes, you can do it with modifying the email templates.

Regards, Primož

Hi @virvine,

That’s embarrassing – we definitely try to do better! I’ve filed this for correction in the next release. The gendered text only appears in the email description, not the default email text, fortunately.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

@asmecher No worries! I know when making stuff from scratch, things move fast with some oversight at times. I appreciate you pushing this forward for release. I think I saw it under a different field as well, so you might do a scan of the instructions for each of the email templates to ensure neutral language is consistent. Thank you so much!

@asmecher I suppose it should say “sent” not “send” as well. Thanks! I don’t mind helping with tweak suggestions, so long as you don’t mind receiving them. All the best, V

Thanks, Primoz. It’s not in the editable template, unfortunately, but the instructions.

Hi @virvine,

Tweaked that as well. Always happy to receive suggestions. I did search for more occurrences of “his” / “him” throughout the language files and didn’t see any – but please do let me know if you see other cases.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

1 Like

As a follow-up to this thread: In other language versions, this seems to be a bigger issue. (We run a tri-lingual journal in English, French, and German and are migrating it right now to OJS):

• In the French (CA) version, there is always and exclusively the male form (e.g. “administrateur”, “evaluateur”) > Here, we would prefere the “auteur·e” form
  • The German version uses the binary form “Autor/in”, “Reviewer/in” etc. > Here we would prefer the more inclusive and non-binary “Autor·in” form?

My questions: 1. Are there any easy ways to identify/ change these items or does our IT support has to chase and check every single item? 2. Are there any ideas/plans around how to offer more inclusive language versions?

1 Like

Hi @dloher,

Regarding French, there is an active discussion on this topic here: Inclusive writing in French translations/ Écriture inclusive (in French) - #3 by pheckler. Fr_CA is virtually fully inclusive and I am doing my best to include this in the fr_FR as I complete the translation. Tracking down and modifying these strings unfortunately requires some work, but this is under active development.

1 Like

Great to hear this. Thanks.