Register link just reloads login page

I just inherited an OJS application. We use it for two journals, and allow for public registration.
But when the Register link is clicked, the page just refreshes.
Here’s the login URL:
https://journals.woundscanada.ca/index.php/wcc/login

When I use the root URL for the site:
https://journals.woundscanada.ca/index.php/index/login
and click the Register link at top right of the page, I do get the message: “This journal is currently not accepting user registrations.” – but this isn’t for a specific Journal, so not sure if this is related?

Running version 3.3.0.3 on PHP 7.4

Of course, we have enabled “Visitors can register a user account with the journal” (else we wouldn’t see the Register link on the login page at the Journal level).

Probably I am missing something very obvious, I’m just not familiar enough with the software to figure it out!

HI @alex.block,

A couple of things to check:

What are the settings set to: Distribution Settings

Also, have you tried clearing the template and data caches to see if that makes a difference: Site Administration

-Roger
PKP Team

I have cleared the caches, and these are my current Distribution settings:

Screenshot 2021-06-22 115148

I tried toggling to “The journal will require subscriptions to access some or all of its contents.” but didn’t change the behaviour, not did clearing caches.

Hi @alex.block,

Hmmm… those options seem like they should work. What about under “Users & Roles” → Site Access options - what are your settings set to there?

-Roger
PKP Team

Screenshot 2021-06-22 132152

I also note that when I select anything from under the About menu item at top left, nothing happens… In fact, nothing except a page refresh to the Login page occurs when I click any link on the login page (excluding the Forget your Password link) at:

Login | Wound Care Canada (woundscanada.ca)

Hi @alex.block,

Okay, everything looks fine there. I’m out of ideas for what to look for within the application settings, which leads me to believe that there may be something occurring server-side. Are you able to access PHP error logs? And, if so, could you provide any relevant error messages from there that might point to what is going on?

-Roger
PKP Team

I do indeed have access to server logs (system is running on a dedicated cPanel server). Here’s what is in error_log in the root:

[21-Jun-2021 22:58:07 UTC] PHP Warning:  session_destroy(): Session object destruction failed in /home/journals/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/session/SessionManager.inc.php on line 76
[21-Jun-2021 22:58:08 UTC] PHP Warning:  session_destroy(): Session object destruction failed in /home/journals/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/session/SessionManager.inc.php on line 76
[22-Jun-2021 10:17:07 UTC] PHP Warning:  session_destroy(): Session object destruction failed in /home/journals/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/session/SessionManager.inc.php on line 76
[22-Jun-2021 10:17:08 UTC] PHP Warning:  session_destroy(): Session object destruction failed in /home/journals/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/session/SessionManager.inc.php on line 76
[22-Jun-2021 15:49:44 UTC] PHP Warning:  array_values() expects parameter 1 to be array, string given in /home/journals/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/components/forms/FormComponent.inc.php on line 272
[22-Jun-2021 15:51:33 UTC] PHP Warning:  array_values() expects parameter 1 to be array, string given in /home/journals/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/components/forms/FormComponent.inc.php on line 272
[23-Jun-2021 01:56:27 UTC] PHP Deprecated:  Non-static method Core::removeBaseUrl() should not be called statically in /home/journals/public_html/plugins/generic/usageStats/UsageStatsLoader.inc.php on line 763
[23-Jun-2021 01:56:27 UTC] PHP Deprecated:  Non-static method Core::_getBaseUrlAndPath() should not be called statically in /home/journals/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/core/Core.inc.php on line 231

No errors are appended when I click the Register button.

Thanks, @alex.block.

I’m out of ideas as to what the issue could be, but I have flagged this for other members of our team to have a look and see what they could suggest. Other community members may wish to weigh in as well.

Best regards,

-Roger
PKP Team

So we “solved” the issue. A bit confusing to me, but what we did was check off “Enable this journal to appear publicly on the site” for each Journal, and then the links for Register started working.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 2 days. New replies are no longer allowed.