Record emails as discussions in editorial workflow

Dear PKP Forum,

we’re testing a new OJS3 version of our journal to launch an upgraded version soon. We have discovered the various changes on the editorial workflow respect to OJS2. Many things look great!, thanks for all the work.

An undesired change seems to be, nonetheless, that not all predefined correspondence emails are recorded in the editorial workflow. Only Editorial Assignment shows up as a “pre-review dicussion” and “Copyediting Request” appears in Copyediting Discussions, but none of the various communications between editor and reviewers in the Review stage.

In OJS2 an “Email Log” with all correspondence appears in the History tab. Why can’t we keep it in OJS3?

Thanks!
Ezequiel

In the submission workflow see the upper right corner. You can see the “editorial history” tab there. It contains all the decisions and also copies of all emails sent.

Hello Antti,

thanks for the reply.
I see well the “Editorial History” (after disabling uBlock :slight_smile: ), but the “Email Log” does not show up there.
May it be because we’re in a testing server and our hosting administrator has disabled the email engine? So, unless the emails are actually SENT, nothing appears there?
(In the history log, submitted files can be downloaded for example, but there’s no access to emails content in any way.)

Thanks!
Ezequiel

Emails should be visible there. Did you click on the blue triangles in front of the editorial history items there? If the history item is connected to an email, there should be a “view email” link there.

Hi,

I can actually see blue triangles in the Editorial History log for the entries where files have been uploaded (articles or reports), pressing there I can “Dowload” that file.
There are no blue triangles in entries related with emails (notifications or assignments).

Any clues?
Thanks!
Ezequiel

Hi,

Could be depending on the way the mails are blocked.

It seems that logging of those emails is conditional to the sending of emails: https://github.com/pkp/pkp-lib/blob/master/classes/mail/SubmissionMailTemplate.inc.php#L68

@asmecher can confirm.

In any case, you should see the sent emails in the editorial history when the mails are sent.

Hi @ezeferrero,

How has your hosting administrator disabled email sending?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hello!

our administrator is telling me that there is no MTA (Mail Transfer Agent) installed in the test site. This is the way emails are disabled. In production we’ll get Postfix.

Bests,
Ezequiel

Hi @ezeferrero,

I’m wondering if the failure of OJS to send messages using the mail function might cause OJS to not log the message. I’d suggest running a quick test, e.g. using an SMTP service (gmail will work) and a mailinator.com email address, to see whether that changes behavior.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

1 Like

Hi!

I confirm that, having set up a SMTP service on the test site, now emails are logged in the editorial history. So, emails actually need to be SENT in order to get recorded in the log. It’s not advisable to make tests without enabling an email service.

Bests,
Ezequiel

1 Like