Problems with OJS 3 Upgrading, no reverting?

Ah, thank you, that is good news. So the HTML galleys should be pulled into the new framework? It seemed when one clicked on a galley that it only offered to download (and display in browser.) Although I could see pdf & xml formats in the demo version, I couldn’t find any HTML. If that’s the case, then I think we will push forward with the 3.0 although I may have to fix some or most of our old HTML galleys.

I’ve actually never been very clear on the proper format for the html, because I’ve uploaded the html files with their own head tags, but then usually understood that the system was superimposing another set of head tags (with the proper metadata). See this article describing this doubling as confusing. Sometimes, perhaps in trying to avoid that duplication, I’ve had a similar issue to this user where they weren’t recognized as html and appeared orphaned on a white background without framing.

My second fear about moving is around getting the same uploading files error as we are getting with our OMP installation.. Here is a screenshot:

As I said above, disabling mod_security entirely didn’t even fix this problem. (It’s back on now, but needed to “whitelist”* some rules as per the error logs, so that OJS 2.4.8 step 5 “the look” would again allow uploads.)

Should OJS and OMP share the same files directory? I had configured it that way, and it is outside the public_html directory. (That may be why thumbnail images paths were broken when we moved servers… both for the OJS article covers and the OMP book covers.)

These errors began occurring after upgrading to OMP 1.2.0 in April. You can see how there is obviously a path problem for the system icons as well:

This block led me to put the whole OMP site on hold for our press over this summer, and we’ve continued to publish with drupal, which has it’s own set of upgrading headaches, and has not nearly such nice standardized presentation of our book metadata, so I would very much like to figure out how to fix this issue and move back to promoting our OMP site instead. I’ve become quite enthusiastic about the Dublin Core Initiative however, and I miss that google scholar would quickly disseminate publications upon release (as they do our OJS issues).

Finally, I’d just like to say thank you Alec, for all your work on these codebases (and hand-holding in the forums) over the years. As an activist coming to this without the academic background, I’ve really learned so much about the proper publication workflow through both OJS and OMP, and I appreciate your patient explanations (and Sunday AM contributions!) I have tried to pay it forward by teaching others, and will continue to do so.

best regards,
pj lilley
Production Editor, Radical Criminology & Thought|Crimes Press

• Just wanted to note that the term “white-listing” is not mine, but I’m using it because I needed to ask upstream tech support to do this for me. Similarly, ‘black-listing’ domains… it’s awkward & I’d like to see us try harder to find new words, as I feel they’re yet another example of racism embedded in our tech lingo.