Problems Lucene 3.1.1

Good Morning
We are trying to implement the indexing in ojs 3.1.1 with the lucene plugin. The solr is working correctly
127.0.0.1:8983 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN but it gives us the following error when executing the php tools / rebuildSearchIndex.php command

Greetings and thank you

Hi @Enrique_Manuel_Touce,

I don’t believe the Lucene/SOLR plugin is currently working with OJS 3.x – though I do think another group is currently working on updating it.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi Alec We make it works on ojs 2.4.8

Thanks

Hi Smecher
With over 140 journal the search system is practically of no use.
https://tidsskrift.dk/
Have a try. Its very frustrating
Regards
Niels Erik

Hi @nef,

Is it the performance of the search that’s causing trouble, or the quality of responses, or something else?

Thanks,
Alec Smecher

The built-in search feature in OJS 3.x is basically defective with the size of the installation we have when we can not use the Lucene / Solr plugin (not updated from OJS 2.x to 3.x). This is due to the implementation of full text searches through the database, it just does not scale to the amount of journals we have.
As another concrete problem I can mention that you no longer are able to search for IP numbers among subscribers. In OJS 2 you could do that. It was a great help for our journals using payment plugins

Hi @nef,

The IP address searching (and searching in general) in subscriptions is reinstated by Subscriptions list is slow to load and does not apply row limit · Issue #4125 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub – there is a patch you should be able to apply there.

As for the built-in search engine, it’s possible that you’re simply hitting the limit of what a basic inverted-index approach can serve without using something specialized like Lucene. We had a third-party partner who was interested in rewriting this support (which was actually a third-party contribution in the first place) but I think it’s dropped off their list, unfortunately. We’re interested in getting it done but haven’t been able to prioritize it yet; if you’ve got some resources to pitch in, e.g. developer time, it might help us to get it resourced.

Thanks,
Alec Smecher