Problem with XML Native Export Plugin

Hi! I have the OJS 3.2.1.2 version and I having the following problem:
I have a multijournal site and one of my journals is experimenting problems with the export XML native plugin. This journal has to export huge amount of data (like 700 or even more mb). When I try to export, it generates an empty XML file (0 kb). Do I have to change the value of any variable? Does someone experiment a similar problem?
Thank you for taking the time to read this. Hope you can help me.
Regards!
(Note: no information in error log)

Hi @elementslive

My first suggestion would be to attempt to run the export from the command line, rather than the web interface. You’ll get much better feedback and error messages. You can obtain the documentation for how to run the plugin from the CLI by running the following command from your web root:

php tools/importExport.php NativeImportExportPlugin usage

Cheers,
Jason

Hi @jnugent. I really aprecciate the time that you took to respond. I tryed what you tell me but nothing happened. I used the following command:
php tools/importExport.php NativeImportExportPlugin export vol_55_num_3.xml BSAB issue 2165
The command generated a XML file with no content in it (0 Kb), it didnt show any error message. Am I missing something to see the errors?
Regards!

Hi @elementslive

Perhaps it would be possible to narrow this down. The plugin is capable of exporting single articles at a time (just look at the Usage for the syntax). Is it possible to export one article?

Best,
Jason

Hi @jnugent is possible to export article by article. The problem appears when I try to export all the articles together. The total size of all articles is near 4 GB. Do you think that could be the reason of my problem?

If you can do it article by article, I think you’re probably hitting a memory limit. From the command line, you can run:

php --ini

To see where PHP is drawing its configuration information from, and then look and see what the memory limit is set to. To temporarily increase it on the command line, you can run:

php -d memory_limit=2048M tools/importExport.php ........

And experiment with the memory setting that works for you. Just be careful that you don’t attempt to consume more memory than you have.

It’s not necessarily a bad thing to export the articles one at a time if you have no other choice. It just takes longer to do and is a bit more work to re-import.

Best,
Jason

Thanks @jnugent. Hope you have a nice day!

1 Like