Problem with PHP version on upgrade to OJS 3.4

Hello! I’m trying to update my OJS from version 3.3.0.13 to the latest version 3.4.0.4.
During this process, I’ve encountered issues with the PHP version. Currently, my site uses PHP version 7.4 (ea-php74). When I attempt to perform the update, I receive the following message:

“Composer detected issues in your platform: Your Composer dependencies require a PHP version “>= 8.0.2”.”

I’ve tried changing the PHP version on my server to:
8.0 and 8.1 - I get Error 500
8.2 - I receive a 404 not found

I don’t have experience with PHP versions; I’ve done several past updates but never encountered this kind of problem.

Can someone help me?

The error log shows the following error when I uses PHP 8.2:

[12-Dec-2023 11:56:19 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Exception: Mailer driver isn’t specified in the application’s config in /home/scienti1/fic.scientiageneralis.com.br/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPContainer.php:315
Stack trace:
#0 /home/scienti1/fic.scientiageneralis.com.br/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPContainer.php(268): PKP\core\PKPContainer::getDefaultMailer()
#1 /home/scienti1/fic.scientiageneralis.com.br/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPContainer.php(117): PKP\core\PKPContainer->loadConfiguration()
#2 /home/scienti1/fic.scientiageneralis.com.br/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.php(228): PKP\core\PKPContainer->registerConfiguredProviders()
#3 /home/scienti1/fic.scientiageneralis.com.br/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.php(200): PKP\core\PKPApplication->initializeLaravelContainer()
#4 /home/scienti1/fic.scientiageneralis.com.br/classes/core/Application.php(50): PKP\core\PKPApplication->__construct()
#5 /home/scienti1/fic.scientiageneralis.com.br/lib/pkp/includes/bootstrap.php(37): APP\core\Application->__construct()
#6 /home/scienti1/fic.scientiageneralis.com.br/index.php(18): require_once(‘/home/scienti1/…’)
#7 {main}
thrown in /home/scienti1/fic.scientiageneralis.com.br/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPContainer.php on line 315

I found an post from June, similar to my problem, and I tried to create a fresh config.inc based on 3.4, and now I am getting an 404 error and the log is showing only the following:

[12-Dec-2023 12:41:21 UTC] PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library ‘mysqli.so’ (tried: /opt/alt/php82/usr/lib64/php/modules/mysqli.so (/opt/alt/php82/usr/lib64/php/modules/mysqli.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory), /opt/alt/php82/usr/lib64/php/modules/mysqli.so.so (/opt/alt/php82/usr/lib64/php/modules/mysqli.so.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)) in Unknown on line 0
[12-Dec-2023 12:41:21 UTC] PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Invalid date.timezone value ‘’, using ‘UTC’ instead in Unknown on line 0

Hi @Hugo_Melo,

If you don’t have any customizations to your journal and are doing your install by downloading the OJS tar.gz file, I would suggest that you do a brand new test install with OJS 3.4; if it works, you can import a dump of your MySQL (drop all tables from your test MySQL first) and files/public folder and run the upgrade in the test install. If the upgrade is successful, you can do the same in your production installation after making sure you have working files and database backups.

Best,
Josh

I have the same problems.
after upgrading to 3.4.0.4, my OJS failed to show the past issues online, and I cannot log in to the OJS.
If anyone knows how to fix it, please help!
Thank you

Hi @Hugo_Melo ,

The error message

does not seems to be related with OJS upgrading process, but is related to the system mail config on ojs_root/config.inc.php. Try to check it to solve this error.

Your are probably trying to upgrade your OJS from browser, right? Try to do it from terminal and you will not need to load page and check errors from your current version on other php versions, just run the upgrade.

Remember always to save a backup before run the upgrade.