Problem Upgrading from OJS 2.4 to OJS 3

Hi everyone,
I’m currently trying to upgrade from OJS 2.4.8 to OJS 3.0.2. I’ve followed the full package instructions and for the database upgrade, I’ve chosen the web version, although the initial page shows up just fine, when I click the “upgrade open journal systems” button, the next page is blank.

This is the error that shows up on the server error log.
PHP Fatal error: Cannot redeclare lens_parsetest() in Cannot redeclare lens_parsetest() on line 23, referer: http://[sitename]/index.php/index/install/upgrade.

Some help please?

Hi @Ruth_Cortez,

It sounds like your server has another version of ADODB (which OJS includes) that’s already been loaded; you’ll have to make sure that OJS is free to load its own copy of ADODB unhindered by another loaded version.

Perhaps you’ve mixed the code together from the two versions by accident?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi, thanks for your answer.

I’ve copied the new files to the server, being careful not to mix code by accident, the only files from the old version I’ve copied to the new one being the public/ directory and the config.inc.php as indicated in the instructions. But now not only is the upgrade page aforementioned blank, but I get the following errors:

Warning: file_put_contents(/var/www/chroot/[sitename]/cache/fc-locale-05afc2c4827ae11210c660d134ba1f01.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/chroot/[sitename]/lib/pkp/classes/cache/FileCache.inc.php on line 90

Warning: file_put_contents(/var/www/chroot/[sitename]/cache/fc-locale-39ad57a0a799a092b476f7b3d029e60d.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/chroot/[sitename]/lib/pkp/classes/cache/FileCache.inc.php on line 90

Warning: file_put_contents(/var/www/chroot/[sitename]/cache/fc-locale-1cfde42be2b25bdac1c9a16538de37a8.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/chroot/[sitename]/lib/pkp/classes/cache/FileCache.inc.php on line 90

Warning: file_put_contents(/var/www/chroot/[sitename]/cache/fc-locale-03b174b61510807426c2a2c128f6a86a.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/chroot/[sitename]/lib/pkp/classes/cache/FileCache.inc.php on line 90

Warning: file_put_contents(/var/www/chroot/[sitename]/cache/fc-locale-list.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/chroot/[sitename]/lib/pkp/classes/cache/FileCache.inc.php on line 90

Warning: file_put_contents(/var/www/chroot/[sitename]/cache/fc-locale-8c15ce7dfec31e437114d80f1f936272.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/chroot/[sitename]/lib/pkp/classes/cache/FileCache.inc.php on line 90

Warning: file_put_contents(/var/www/chroot/[sitename]/cache/fc-locale-d361f6493b84f04da16487147dee41ca.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/chroot/[sitename]/lib/pkp/classes/cache/FileCache.inc.php on line 90

Warning: file_put_contents(/var/www/chroot/[sitename]/cache/fc-locale-f90252dc6a63da3f259c3add542b2e84.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/chroot/[sitename]/lib/pkp/classes/cache/FileCache.inc.php on line 90

Warning: file_put_contents(/var/www/chroot/[sitename]/cache/fc-locale-358c56f5ace75e00d521d5b534a8c845.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/chroot/[sitename]/lib/pkp/classes/cache/FileCache.inc.php on line 90

Warning: file_put_contents(/var/www/chroot/[sitename]/cache/fc-locale-d20be57bb305d999dbcf073bb906a2aa.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/chroot/[sitename]/lib/pkp/classes/cache/FileCache.inc.php on line 90

I’ve checked the file permissions and made sure the the web user is included in the group that owns the files and that they’re writeable, yet the errors still show up. What could I be doing wrong?

And could you elaborate a little on the ADODB version being hindered, please?

Thank you.

Hi @Ruth_Cortez,

It looks like the problem has changed – it’s possible that you’ve resolved the ADODB problem, but now you’re encountering a file permissions problem in cache/. I’m not sure what your server configuration (e.g. SAPI) is, so your requirements will vary. Check the FAQ entry on file permissions for specifics.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi Mr. Smecher,

Effectively it was a problem with the user permissions, it has now been corrected although the ADODB problem is back. I’m still working on dealing with that.

Thank you.