Plugin gallery empty ojs 3.3.1.0

For ojs 3.3.1.0 I face the common issue of empty plugin gallery where it displays just no items.
I have no php errors etc and I can read the xml file with the plugins. The code as well can recieve the xml with the plugins. After some research I realised the issue is in PLuginGAlleryDao.inc.php file and particularly on these lines of code:
if (!$foundRelease) {
// No compatible release was found.
return null;
}
where for each plugin it returns null, so no items can be displayed.
May I assume that the plugins from plugin gallery are not released for the latest ojs version and thats why they are not displayed?
In that case I can start by updading my custom plugins for the latest version of ojs and uploading them again
Thank you

Hi @Dimitris_Sioulas,

Are you sure that you’re using 3.3.1 - that version hasn’t been released yet - the current version is 3.3.0-8?

-Roger
PKP Team

Yes I am, I downloaded and installed the version 3.3.1 from github(GitHub - pkp/ojs at stable-3_3_1). Nevertheless I had the exact same issue with version 3.0.0-8 as well regarding plugin gallery.

So version 3.3.1 isn’t safe to use yet?

Hi @Dimitris_Sioulas,

That version, wouldn’t be considered a release, and thus not fully tested or sanctioned, like a formal released version of the software is (and so wouldn’t be recommended for production use). Formally released versions can be found here: Tags · pkp/ojs · GitHub

Regardless, sorry to hear this is still creating an issue in 3.3.0-8. Do you see any messages in the PHP error logs from when you try to load the plugin gallery? I’m wondering if that might provide a clue?

-Roger
PKP Team

if (!$foundRelease) {
// No compatible release was found.
return null;
}
considering that if I remvoe those lines of code the plugin gallery will display the items.
and I dont have any php errors. and php.in as everything enabled.
is that helpful?

Hi @Dimitris_Sioulas,

Thanks - I’m not sure about this particular code snippet. I’ll see if some of our other team members can comment.

-Roger
PKP Team

Hi all,

I’d like to push that because I have the same issue with my Docker test installation. I don’t see any plugins at all in the gallery of OJS 3.3.0-8.
However, I know that others see some plugins at least. No idea why. Didn’t had time to dig into it yet.

Best wishes,
Ronald

what is your ojs version?

Hi @Dimitris_Sioulas ,

as I said above: OJS 3.3.0-8

Hi @Dimitris_Sioulas ,

I looked into this. It seems to be a timing issue between publication of the respective stable branch on Github and publication of the official release by PKP.

Currently the xml file describing the plugin gallery only contains compatibility version numbers up to OJS version 3.3.0.8, i.e. if you run the branch stable 3.3.1 no compatible plugins will be found.

In my case with OJS 3.3.0.8 I seem to also have installed the 3.3.0.8 branch before the official release which presumably comes with an updated plugin gallery file.

So it is advisable to always look for the latest release version.

Best wishes,
Ronald

Hi all,

The stable-3_3_1 branch came up on this thread as well:
https://forum.pkp.sfu.ca/t/curious-about-ojs-development-cycle/70059/4?u=asmecher

As 3.3.1 has not been released yet, the stable-3_3_1 branch is not ready for use. We have mothballed 3.3.1 in favour of going directly to 3.4.0. To avoid further confusion I’ve deleted the stable-3_3_1 branch.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team