PDFs cannot be opened using Adobe Reader and Google Chrome

Hi I am having a problem with downloaded PDF files, they cannot be opened using Adobe Reader (The error message: Adobe Acrobat Reader could not open ‘1804-PDF Galley-6510-2-10-20211206.pdf’ because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn’t correctly decoded).; while in Google Chrome, the error message is “Failed to load PDF document.” The files cannot be opened either in Android. But, the files can be opened in iPhone, Mac Preview and Mozilla. The PDF viewer is working well in all devices. Here I provide you the link of one of the articles for checking: View of Correlates of evidence-based nursing practice among nurses in Saudi Arabia: A structural equation model | Belitung Nursing Journal

The PDF can be opened in all devices before uploading to OJS, or when downloaded from dashboard (as an author, editor, and journal manager) as a Galley. But not downloaded PDFs from public URL.

Note: We have just transferred the domain to a new provider, and the problem happens since then. Really need your help!

Thank you so much. Appreciated!

**Application Version - OJS 3.1.2.0:

Hi @jokogunawan,

When I did a mime-type test on the PDF that was downloaded it showed up as:

application/octet-stream - which suggests:
suggests that it is somehow being converted to a different format when being downloaded and that file type cannot be recognized, or possibly that the file is corrupted . It displays just fine in the browser.

Have you or a developer customized the PDF download options in your OJS instance - that might account for it, but maybe not.

Also, please note that the version of OJS that you’re using is no longer supported by PKP. I recommend that you upgrade to the newest version of OJS, as it is possible that your issue will be resolved by upgrading.

Upgrading instructions are available in the PKP Administrator’s Guide.

Information about the latest version of OJS can be found on the PKP Website

Best regards,

Roger
PKP Team

Hi Roger,

Thank you for the feedback. We do not have PDF download options, and we have tried upgrading to the latest version of OJS, we found some errors, especially duplicate email_id in the database. Any other suggestions regarding this, both PDF format and upgrading?

Regards,
Joko Gunawan

Hi @jokogunawan,

I’m confused, I can see the PDF download options in the link you provided - unless you mean something else? Regarding your upgrade issues, I’d suggest making a separate forum post about this detailing the issues you’re encountering, as we prefer to limit posts in the forum to one topic only.

Best regards,

Roger
PKP Team

Hi @rcgillis, sorry for the confusing response. Yes, I mean the PDF download options in the link I provided. There are two options, 1) PDF download option brought by the OJS theme/template and 2) download option from iframe. Still wonder how the PDF can be converted to the different format. I wish we can come up with a solution while in the process of upgrading.

For upgrading, yes, still reading about duplicate email_id database error and trying at local host at the moment. Will make another post if it is needed.

Thank you so much.

Best regards,
Joko Gunawan

Hello,
From my experience with thousands of PhD theses that I receive in PDF at the library, when there is a problem similar to the one you mention, it is always a document generated on a Mac (which seems to be the case here too). In my opinion OJS is not to blame.
JB

1 Like

This one I also agree with you. Thank you very much.

This topic was automatically closed after 23 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.