PDF.js Plugin disables Full Screen View

Once PDF.js Plugin is enabled it disables the Full Screen View of the PDF files. See attached example. How can I solve this?

BEFORE ENABLING PDF.js

AFTER ENABLING PDF.js

Hi @richardk,

The PDF.js plugin replaces the default PDF viewer, including the “fullscreen” button. It should have its own fullscreen button on the top toolbar.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hello Alec,

you are wright, thanks.
Nevertheless, once I go on Full screen (with PDF.js enabled) I can’t zoom the
page which result is a bad quality for reading (see 2nd screen shot)

Hi @richardk,

Were you able to find the fullscreen button on the toolbar when PDF.js is enabled?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi Alec,

yes, I answered you on the attached email, did you got also my screen shots?
I found how to open the page fullscreen even with PDF.js enabled, nevertheless
the quality of the content is not satisfactory and from that full screen page I
do not have any zoom options. Do you know a solution for that?

regards,
Richard

Hi @richardk,

I didn’t receive any screenshots. I’m not sure if our discussion forum permits attachments in email responses to be added to posts; you may need to log into the website and post your response that way rather than replying.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hello Alec,
the first screenshot is how you see the content on OJS usually (the quality is good and one can zoom the pdf if necessary), the second shows the Full screen view where the quality is not as good and I wasn-t able to find any tool to zoom. Both screenshots are with PDF.js enabled

Hi @richardk,

Simply put, that is just the way that PDF.js works; if you’re interested in tweaking it, I’d suggest getting in touch with its maintainers. Like OJS, it’s an open source project. You could try here: GitHub - mozilla/pdf.js: PDF Reader in JavaScript

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hello Alec,
I add this issue to the conversasion as it is a very close issue.
I noticed on other Journals using OJS that on the PDF the “View Full screen” icon is directly available on the toolbar while on my pages not. I thought it could depend from the PDF file but downloading it there is no difference. Is there a PlugIn that enables the “View Full Screen” button to be on the toolbar? Here the comparison
In this Periodical the “View Full page” icon is on the horizontal bar of the PDF:

here in my PDF files the icon is not present, one must click on the arrow to view full page:

Hi @richardk,

The top screenshot shows the older (outdated) PDFObject-based PDF viewer; the bottom one shows the more modern PDF.js one. Unfortunately, as you note, the fullscreen button is a little harder to find in the bottom screenshot.

Note that in OJS 3.0 we’re still using PDF.js but the embedding provides a lot more real estate for the PDF view, both exposing more buttons without needing to pull down a drawer, and meaning that the fullscreen button won’t be as necessary anyway.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hello Alec,

thank you for the immediate reply.
I’m not sure I understood well, to have on my PDF’s the fullscreen button should
we install OJS 3.0 or enable another Plugin?

Thank you so much and best regards,
Richard

Hi @richardk,

The reason the fullscreen button is hidden in the OJS 2.x PDF.js plugin is because there isn’t enough space on the screen to show all the tools on the toolbar. This has improved in OJS 3.0, as we gave more space to the article presentation in redesigning the user interface there.

In OJS 2.x, it should be possible to tweak the PDF.js interface by editing its HTML; start with plugins/generic/pdfJsViewer/pdf.js/web/viewer.html.

Regards,
Alec Smecher