PDF Galley Labels

Is there a way to create a PDF galley label without the locate and language crammed into one whopping label? Strangely, in a bi-lingual journal that we have with two locales (English as default, Spanish as added language) the PDF label appears as PDF, but on the English side, the label shows PDF (Español (España)). PDF is becoming a universal abbreviation without geographic and linguistic borders, so maybe an option (without having to work with PHP scripts and XML files, which are wiped out in the next upgrade anyway) to use that PDF could make this galley label more permanent and universal.

I posted on this a year or two ago, but there was no response, and when I finally found a discussion (on modifying a PHP file) a week or so ago, that thread had already been over 5 years old, closed, and left unmonitored.

Also, it takes some time to research and apply solution to some OJS issues. Some may be hiring external developers to make those changes at some cost (we don’t but others do). Is there a way to keep those changes permanent and immune from deletion in the next OJS upgrade?

Thanks!
@asabhar

Hi @asabhar,

Improvement for galley labels is being discussed as part of this discussion here: Improve galleyLabels for multilang journals · Issue #6275 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub

With respect to your second issue - do you mean you are modifying the software code and need to maintain this between upgrading versions? Am I understanding you correctly?

-Roger
PKP Team

Thanks for the link, @rcgillis. It looks like theyare taking a different approach, but changing lines at the file level will still be overriden by the next upgrade.

As for the second issue - no we are not altering the scripts, but have modified some lines to make OJS show the word “Adelanto” instead of “Resumen.” Although this would affect all journals using Spanish as an added language, we only have one that is systematically using Spanish for teaching purposes and since Spanish is his first language, I have no problem in helping him create an environment that helps his course. Sorry, if I wasn’t clear, but hypothetically, codes can be modified (either legally or illegally) only to be wiped out in the next round of upgrades. One reason they shouldn’t because it only takes one missing punctuation mark to cause a php file to fail, and when one fails many OJS features also fail. So, no, I did not modify the code other than these wording changes that I cannot do via the OJS admin UI itself. Some you can change in the OJS platform (like wording in the submission checklist) and those changes stay after the upgrade. So, I wonder if more of such non-program-related choices could be elevated from the file to the user level, and that way OJS could allow users to make those changes at the platform level (including labels) instead of having to look into .po, .php, and .xml files and make temporary changes there. The only thing that will not alter the functionality of php files is if you reverse the spell of php…

Best!
@asabhar

Hi @asabhar,

Thanks for weighing in with your comments on that Github issue.

Have you looked at the custom locale plugin? It is available in the plugin gallery. This is designed to allow you to modify the text in different languages for different strings appearing on the public facing OJS site - strings that would otherwise be stored in the .po, .php, and .xml files, and carry them forward between upgrades.

-Roger

Thanks, Roger,

I was not aware of this plugin – it was not among those that are installed, but I do see that it was recently created. Once our editors complete their publishing this summer, I can venture into installing it then. I’d hate to see an unexpected bug to interfere with their work, but I see a greater journal-level control. It looks like I can install this for one journal without affecting the others that might not need this. Changing the files, on the other hand affects the entire site. So, I can restore the original files before installing this plugin – maybe by that time, issuesand solutions will also be available on the forum.

On the install window, all I see is an “upgrade” button. So how do I install it?

–Arjun @asabhar

Hi @asabhar,

Do you have site admin privileges for your site? And what version of OJS are you running?

-Roger

Hi @rcgillis,

Yes, I have admin privileges, and we have just upgraded to 3.3.0.6.

Arjun

@asabhar,

Ok, so I was able to install it from Website → Settings → Plugin Gallery and from there I am able to upgrade it if needed and then in the list of Installed Plugins you should be able to enable it using the checkbox.

-Roger

Hi @rcgillis,

I recall seeing this plugin now, and I noticed that this is only available in English, not Spanish, so that is why the modification were necessary at the file level. I also recall chaging the primary local to Spanish, but this plugin was still for en_US. It was disabled after the upgrade, so I re-enabled it.

And it works. Thanks!

@asabhar

1 Like