Paperbuzz plugin related error in log

I installed the Paperbuzz plugin 1_0_2-0 on our OJS 3.2.1.2 by un-taring it into htdocs\journal\plugins\generic\paperbuzz. It seems to work, but php_error_log shows this error repeatedly.

PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined method Submission::getIssueId() in C:\xampp\htdocs\journal\plugins\generic\paperbuzz\PaperbuzzPlugin.inc.php:326
Stack trace:
#0 C:\xampp\htdocs\journal\plugins\generic\paperbuzz\PaperbuzzPlugin.inc.php(288): PaperbuzzPlugin->_getDownloadStats(true)
#1 C:\xampp\htdocs\journal\lib\pkp\classes\cache\GenericCache.inc.php(63): PaperbuzzPlugin->_downloadsCacheMiss(Object(FileCache), NULL)
#2 C:\xampp\htdocs\journal\lib\pkp\classes\cache\FileCache.inc.php(115): GenericCache->get(NULL)
#3 C:\xampp\htdocs\journal\plugins\generic\paperbuzz\PaperbuzzPlugin.inc.php(276): FileCache->getContents()
#4 C:\xampp\htdocs\journal\plugins\generic\paperbuzz\PaperbuzzPlugin.inc.php(172): PaperbuzzPlugin->_getDownloadsJsonDecoded()
#5 C:\xampp\htdocs\journal\lib\pkp\classes\plugins\HookRegistry.inc.php(107): PaperbuzzPlugin->articleMainCallback(‘Templates::Arti…’, Array)
#6 C:\xampp\htdocs\journal\lib\pkp\classes\template\PKPTemplateManager.inc.php(1256): HookRegistry::call(‘Templates::Arti…’, in C:\xampp\htdocs\journal\plugins\generic\paperbuzz\PaperbuzzPlugin.inc.php on line 326

Am I missing a component elsewhere or is there a config file where I could make an edit so this message disappears?

Greetings,

It’s been some time, but we still have the same problem. After upgrading from 3.2.1.1 to 3.3.0.14, we still have repeated Paperbuzz plugin related fatal error in the PHP error log. It looks like this:

PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Call to undefined method Submission::getIssueId() in C:\xampp\htdocs\journal\plugins\generic\paperbuzz\PaperbuzzPlugin.inc.php:355
Stack trace:
#0 C:\xampp\htdocs\journal\plugins\generic\paperbuzz\PaperbuzzPlugin.inc.php(317): PaperbuzzPlugin->_getDownloadStats(true)
#1 C:\xampp\htdocs\journal\lib\pkp\classes\cache\GenericCache.inc.php(63): PaperbuzzPlugin->_downloadsCacheMiss(Object(FileCache), NULL)
#2 C:\xampp\htdocs\journal\lib\pkp\classes\cache\FileCache.inc.php(115): GenericCache->get(NULL)
#3 C:\xampp\htdocs\journal\plugins\generic\paperbuzz\PaperbuzzPlugin.inc.php(305): FileCache->getContents()
#4 C:\xampp\htdocs\journal\plugins\generic\paperbuzz\PaperbuzzPlugin.inc.php(220): PaperbuzzPlugin->_getDownloadsJsonDecoded()
#5 C:\xampp\htdocs\journal\lib\pkp\classes\plugins\HookRegistry.inc.php(107): PaperbuzzPlugin->articleMainCallback('Templates::Arti...', Array)
#6 C:\xampp\htdocs\journal\lib\pkp\classes\template\PKPTemplateManager.inc.php(1528): HookRegistry::call('Templates::Arti...', Array)
#7 C:\xampp\htdocs\journal\cache\t_compile\42362804174f266c598cdb32c3208fc745b92101^addd65021fadf964339ab08cd1aa93ba59b14e9c_0.app.frontendobjectsarticledet.php(186): PKPTemplateManager->smartyCallHook(Array, Object(Smarty_Internal_Template))
#8 C:\xampp\htdocs\journal\lib\pkp\lib\vendor\smarty\smarty\libs\sysplugins\smarty_template_resource_base.php(123): content_64c7f4fc8c5de5_34255358(Object(Smarty_Internal_Template))
#9 C:\xampp\htdocs\journal\lib\pkp\lib\vendor\smarty\smarty\libs\sysplugins\smarty_template_compiled.php(114): Smarty_Template_Resource_Base->getRenderedTemplateCode(Object(Smarty_Internal_Template))
#10 C:\xampp\htdocs\journal\lib\pkp\lib\vendor\smarty\smarty\libs\sysplugins\smarty_internal_template.php(216): Smarty_Template_Compiled->render(Object(Smarty_Internal_Template))
#11 C:\xampp\htdocs\journal\lib\pkp\lib\vendor\smarty\smarty\libs\sysplugins\smarty_internal_template.php(385): Smarty_Internal_Template->render()
#12 C:\xampp\htdocs\journal\cache\t_compile\42362804174f266c598cdb32c3208fc745b92101^1c372c95cd85572e0fbc9a53d0323a0b229cfc78_0.app.frontendpagesarticle.tpl.php(40): Smarty_Internal_Template->_subTemplateRender('app:frontend/ob...', NULL, '42362804174f266...', 0, 3600, Array, 0, false)
#13 C:\xampp\htdocs\journal\lib\pkp\lib\vendor\smarty\smarty\libs\sysplugins\smarty_template_resource_base.php(123): content_64c7f4fc4f86b3_02270365(Object(Smarty_Internal_Template))
#14 C:\xampp\htdocs\journal\lib\pkp\lib\vendor\smarty\smarty\libs\sysplugins\smarty_template_compiled.php(114): Smarty_Template_Resource_Base->getRenderedTemplateCode(Object(Smarty_Internal_Template))
#15 C:\xampp\htdocs\journal\lib\pkp\lib\vendor\smarty\smarty\libs\sysplugins\smarty_internal_template.php(216): Smarty_Template_Compiled->render(Object(Smarty_Internal_Template))
#16 C:\xampp\htdocs\journal\lib\pkp\lib\vendor\smarty\smarty\libs\sysplugins\smarty_internal_templatebase.php(238): Smarty_Internal_Template->render(false, 1)
#17 C:\xampp\htdocs\journal\lib\pkp\lib\vendor\smarty\smarty\libs\sysplugins\smarty_internal_templatebase.php(134): Smarty_Internal_TemplateBase->_execute(Object(Smarty_Internal_Template), NULL, '42362804174f266...', NULL, 1)
#18 C:\xampp\htdocs\journal\lib\pkp\classes\template\PKPTemplateManager.inc.php(1197): Smarty_Internal_TemplateBase->display('frontend/pages/...', NULL, '42362804174f266...', NULL)
#19 C:\xampp\htdocs\journal\pages\article\ArticleHandler.inc.php(320): PKPTemplateManager->display('frontend/pages/...')
#20 C:\xampp\htdocs\journal\lib\pkp\classes\core\PKPRouter.inc.php(395): ArticleHandler->view(Array, Object(Request))
#21 C:\xampp\htdocs\journal\lib\pkp\classes\core\PKPPageRouter.inc.php(246): PKPRouter->_authorizeInitializeAndCallRequest(Array, Object(Request), Array, false)
#22 C:\xampp\htdocs\journal\lib\pkp\classes\core\Dispatcher.inc.php(144): PKPPageRouter->route(Object(Request))
#23 C:\xampp\htdocs\journal\lib\pkp\classes\core\PKPApplication.inc.php(362): Dispatcher->dispatch(Object(Request))
#24 C:\xampp\htdocs\journal\index.php(68): PKPApplication->execute()
#25 {main}

I searched the forum and found a few posts with a similar question, but no answer yet. If someone could stir me in the right direction, I would be very grateful!

Hi @Lolekbolek,

This does not directly relate to the error you’re experiencing, but, I should let you know that the Paperbuzz plugin is no long maintained.

Paperbuzz was a free and open service built by ImpactStory with PKP’s support. It took the complex data collected by Crossref Event Data and calculated metrics for every article that had a digital object identifier (DOI) registered with Crossref.

Unfortunately, Crossref deprecated the Event Data API and migrated their data and endpoints to a new Relationship API. Since this plugin is not maintained by PKP directly, ImpactStory would have to update the plugin to work with the new Crossref Relationship API.

-Roger
PKP Team

1 Like

Many thanks, Roger!

Actually, I noticed that since successfully upgrading the Paperbuzz plugin to the version 1.0.3.3 from 2023-10-04 in the Plugin Gallery last night, it doesn’t show in the Plugin Gallery anymore! :slight_smile:

Then again, I don’t have errors in the log anymore either. Perhaps, this latest upgrade will last for a while? I just sent an email to ImpactStory and will update this post when/if I hear back from them.