Old statistics not shown

OJS3 only shows statistics since a certain date.

imagen

• Acron and Statistics plugins are enabled.
  • I use a regular (not modified) apache2 log.
  • Plenty of files in the “archived” folder.

What I tried to resolve the issue:

I tried to “reprocess” the logs moving old files from “archive” to “stage” folders.
When I call the “tools/runScheduledTasks.php” script, OJS takes a long time to reprocess them… but then, nothing is shown in the statistics page.

I cleared the cache (client and server sides) and I wait more than 24 hours to let the tool complete any possible internal process, but the result is the same.

Application Version: OJS 3.2.1-4

Is it possible that the base_url changed at this point? Or that published articles got new IDs? When processing old log files, the URL is matched against the base_url. And when calculating article stats, the full URL is used to match (including the urlPath).

A change in any of these can cause a log entry to point to a URL that is no longer recognized, and therefore discarded. We are adapting the log files for 3.4 to avoid this problem.

2 Likes

Thanks Nate for your answers. Comments about your comments:

Is it possible that the base_url changed at this point? Or that published articles got new IDs? When processing old log files, the URL is matched against the base_url. And when calculating article stats, the full URL is used to match (including the urlPath).

No change in base_url (I checked it twice) and as far as I know, articles keep same IDs and urlPath (DOIs keep working fine after upgrade).

I don’t know if this is relevant to identify the problem, but just after the migration I got stats since 2015… but when I “reprocess” the logs, older stats just disapear.

More info:

Before the “reprocess”… I got a boa constrictor eating an elephant:
imagen

After reprocessing it… the boa is walking away:
imagen

If is an issue with the reprocess script and won’t be fixed till 3.4, is there a way to recover old statistics?
I got a copy of the old BD.

If not… what about remove all the data and let OJS recalculate it all? My concern with this is I don’t know if I will lose very old statistics (the ones before the new statistics framework that don’t include log files and are ony in the DB).

Thanks a lot for your time Nate.

Unfortunately, I’m not very familiar with the log file reprocessing. Looking at those two graphs, though, it looks a lot like something happened in April. The stats exist before or after. Have you inspected the log files before and after that month to see if you can identify a difference?