OJS3 on Inmotionhosting using Softaculous

I tried to install OJS3 on a domain with Inmotionhosting using Softaculous. It failed. I got an alert saying that installation requires a version of PHP below 7.0 but the system default is 7.0.22. However the requirements on the PKP downloads page says that PHP 5.6 or later is acceptable. Can you give me some insight on this, please?

Hi @dgaygen,

The current OJS release (3.1.0-1) requires PHP >= 5.6 and PHP < 7.2. To add PHP7.2 support there is a single-line change required to lib/pkp/classes/session/SessionManager.inc.php.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Check do they allow to install it manually?

Hi, asmechert
I tried to solve the php 7.2 unsupport by changing /SessionManager.ing.php and Filter, but the site continue showing the following message:

Esta página no funciona
www.nozomiscience.org no puede procesar esta solicitud en este momento.
HTTP ERROR 500

Please, hepl me to solve the problem.

Hi @jhisaza,

What do you see in your PHP error log?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi asmecher:
In my phpinfo, I found the following warning messages:

Warning: phpinfo(): Invalid date.timezone value ‘America/Bogotá’, we selected the timezone ‘UTC’ for now. in /home/pronatp/public_html/nozomiscience.org/phpinfo.php on line 2

Warning: phpinfo(): Invalid date.timezone value ‘America/Bogotá’, we selected the timezone ‘UTC’ for now. in /home/pronatp/public_html/nozomiscience.org/phpinfo.php on line 2

Hi asmecher:
php version is now:
PHP Version 7.2.4

Hi @jhisaza,

Those warnings are cosmetic (and you can resolve them by adjusting your time zone in your config.inc.php). But there should be an error message to go with the 500 error – if it’s not in your PHP error log, check your web server (e.g. Apache) error log.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Dear asmecher:
I updated OJS to version 3.1.1 and it worked on php 7.1, but not on php 7.2.

I changed config.inc.php, like this:

; Display an error message when something goes wrong.
display_errors = On

the page showed many deprecated functions and a problem with time-zone.

The problem seems to be related to time zone.
I placed UTC in php 7.2 and in config.inc.php and refreshed the page. With this the page became visible.

Then I returned php 7.2 to time zone = “America / Bogotá” and no problem.

kind regards,

Hi @jhisaza,

OJS 3.1.1 [edit] definitely works on PHP7.2 – our testing framework checks it. If you’re encountering problems, maybe it’s because warnings/errors are displayed to the browser. Make sure your PHP is configured to send these to the log file.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi asmecher:
maybe you mean OJS 3.1.1., OJS 3.2 is not jet available.
Best regards

Hi @jhisaza,

Yes, sorry, I meant 3.1.1.

Regards,
Alec Smecher