OJS3 moving between steps in submission and review forms sometimes cause errors

Hi,

I was about to submit this to Github but decided to post it here instead first.

I arranged workshops for around 30 journals a couple of weeks ago. During the workshops many of the participating editors had errors when moving between the steps in review and submission forms. Especially the step 2=>3 in the review form seemed to cause trouble.

The error that users got was a blank page with “{status: true” etc. so probably some scripts are failing to load in some cases. Most of these errors seemd to be with Firefox but at least two of them were with Chrome.

Is anybody else experiencing similar problems? This is hard to track because I have only seen it happening to me 1-2 times.

We were using OJS 3.0.0.

Yes, I can confirm, I saw something of that sort in OJS 3.0.0. And that was really hard to reproduce. Is it the same with OJS 3.0.1?

Seems so unfortunately.

May that cause loss of data entered?

I do no think so. The string that is visible when error occurs is a json respond so the data is being processed. It is just the script that shows the content inside a tab that seems to be failing. Or at least this is how I see it.

I was able to reproduce this with Firefox 49, but now my browser has upgraded to FF 50 and I do not seem to get it anymore. But I am far from being convinced that this is a problem only with FF49.

Hi @ajnyga and @Ph_We,

When you see a JSON response getting dumped out to the web browser (e.g. {status: true…), it usually means that the browser hit a Javascript error prior to that response getting processed. The best way to track these down is to use a tool like Firebug, which will show a running Javascript console and list errors.

Unfortunately it’s hard to track this down after the fact, because the error happened before the JSON response shows up, but if you’re able to track down the Javascript error I’d be happy to help debug.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Thanks, yes I figured that the error has already happened before you see the white page. However, these errors seem to be so random that it is hard to catch them.

There are a lot of [Mon Nov 14 07:56:59.104660 2016] [:error] [pid 2721] [client 83.145.204.136:51485] ojs2: 404 Not Found, referer: http://mydomain.fi/$$$call$$$/page/page/css but I am not sure if these are connected to the problem?

Hi @ajnyga,

I don’t think that’s relevant – but note that your PHP and Apache errors may be getting logged to different files, so there may be something in a different file.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @asmecher ,

It seems that at least some of these errors are caused by the bug mentioned in [OJS] Author View Metadata modal javascript error · Issue #2083 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub

If the reviewer opens the metadata in step 1 the resulting javascript error (Error: There is no handler bound to this element! Handler.js:142:10) will cause the review form to crash (e.g. {status: true…) when moving between step 2 and step 3.

So this seems to explain some of the errors people have had. This does not of course explain why some users are getting these in the submission form.

1 Like