OJS3, ISBN metadata for issues in yearbooks

Hi,

Some of our OJS3 users are yearbooks, which are basically journals that publish one issue per year. In some cases these publications use ISBNs for their issues.

Should this user scenario be somehow considered in OJS3 metadata model?

Hi @ajnyga,

Where would you expect the ISBNs to be delivered – i.e. via the OAI interface or elsewhere? Or just presented on the page for readers?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

In our case the primary use would be OAI, which we use to send data to the national library. But it would of course make sense showing it one issue summary as well.

This is something I could fairly easily implement as a plugin, but was just thinking if this should be in the core.

Hi @ajnyga,

Are you using e.g. DC? Will you need issues to have their own OAI records, or will article-level records be enough?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

With the national library we use marc21, I have a oaiplugin that outputs just the right kind of content for them.

This is what they would like to see in the article metadata:

<datafield tag="773" ind1="0" ind2=" " >
<subfield code="z" >978-952-93-8233-0. -</subfield>

That is actually the easy part, editing the oai output for them. Also creating a custom field to the issue details would probably be fairly easy with a plugin, but as I said, maybe this is something that other’s would need as well?

1 Like

Hi @ajnyga,

I’m not aware of anyone else using ISBNs for issues – but maybe @stranack and @bozana have?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Possibly if someone was using OJS for books – with each “issue” being a
book (and each chapter being an article). But I haven’t seen it under
normal circumstances.

Thanks!

The cases we have are not books as such but yearbooks containing individual articles. Basically the only clear difference between a journal and an yearbook is that the latter has one issue per year.

However, in the case of yearbooks both ISSN and ISBN are applied. So the series has an ISSN and each yearbook issue has an ISBN. We have at least 5-8 yearbooks that are published in our platform, but I am not sure if all of them apply an ISBN for each issue, I know that two of them do.

But maybe the “yearbook” is something that belongs to the European tradition? To be honest, I only know Finnish ones.

I am also not aware of such an example… :-\

Maybe this is a Finnish speciality then :smiley:

Sorry for bumping, just wanted to say we have the same thing in Sweden, a few yearbooks are still being published, mostly by learned societies and such. Quite important publications for humanities here. I’m not sure about the rest of Europe, but remember seeing lots of old “Jahrbuch” (German) in the humanities library where I used to work :slightly_smiling_face:

Anyway, we have an old yearbook that wants to publish back and future content in OJS. Really curious how you’ve set up OJS to work with yearbooks.

Magnus Annemark
Lund University Library

Hi,

When translating OJS to Finnish we made sure we do not use the term “Journal” (“Lehti” in Finnish). Instead we used “Julkaisu”, which is a more general term.

Besides that, we have not done anything special really. It would not be too hard to have an extra field for ISBNs I think, I mean by using a special plugin. Nothing of the sort is available of course at the moment.