OJS References tool - Formats

Hi all,

Regarding the bibliographic references tool of OJS (CITATION MARKUP ASSISTANT), we show that the Harvard style and the Chicago style are missing.

Is any of those additions expected to any future release of OJS?

Thank you in advance.

Hi @Dimitris_Efstathiou,

The Citation Markup Assistant isn’t currently being actively maintained and won’t be included in OJS 3.0. Adding those formats as plugins is certainly possible but I wouldn’t suggest investing time in it. For future releases, we’ll be working on a comprehensive XML conversion process that supports parsing of source documents into JATS (NLM) XML, including automatic citation parsing. We’ll be working on a plugin to integrate that with OJS 3.0 (and possibly also OJS 2.4.x) in the coming months. That toolset will support CSL-based citation outputs, which will include formats like Harvard and Chicago.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

1 Like

Hello,

Are any developments on the toolset?! I was asked if Harvard is supported, and I would love to give an answer to that particular issue.

Thank you very much.

Hi @kosson,

Are you asking about the Citation Markup Assistant, or Open Typesetting Stack, or something else?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

The Citation Markup Assistant. I have been asked to setup a journal, but the colleagues who will tend to it need Harvard citation.

Hi @kosson,

I’d recommend against investing much time in the Citation Markup Assistant; we’re not actively maintaining it and won’t be continuing with it in OJS 3.0. I’d suggest reading up on Open Typesetting Stack (linked above) for our future plans with regard to semantic parsing (including references).

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Ok, I’ll look into it. Thank you very much, Alec.