OJS multilanguage submissions

Dear all,
I’m trying to understand if an OJS behaviour is normal or not. I am using OJS 2.4.4.1
I have a journal with main language italian and english as other language.
When an author makes a submission in english only, he cannot submit it because OJS asks for information in italian:
“Errrors occurred processing this form
An announcement title is required (italiano)
A short announcement description is required (italiano)”

Is it expected? I mean, is it true that it is mandatory to fill out elements in the main journal language, while the fields in secondary languages can be empty?

TIA
Lorenzo

1 Like

Hi Lorenzo,

Under Journal Management > Languages, what options do you have set for each language?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Thanks for reply Alec.
Settings are:
Primary Locale: italiano
Supported locales
English with checks in UI Submissions Forms
Italiano with checks in UI Submissions Forms

Hi Lorenzo,

Can you double-check those messages? I’m confused because the error messages you mention are related to announcements, and the process you’re describing is where the author creates a submission.

The expected behavior is that when an author starts a submission in a particular language (e.g. English), using the language pull-down at the beginning of the process, certain fields will be required in that language, such as the title and abstract.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thanks for replying Alec.
I checked the submission workflow and it works as expected, without asking texts in other languages than the submission language.

My message was based upon a problem reported by one of our users, which mentioned this problem in relation to announcements AND article submissions.
I didn’t check myself the article submission. Sorry!
Case closed.

Hi there.
I have the same problem but with OCS 2.3.6.0
I have a multilingual site setup (English and Croatian).
In language settings, I have English set as default, and both English and Croatian with UI and Forms checked.
(the same as Lorenzo with Italiano).

When I try to submit an abstract for a conference in Croatian language (form language Croatian), it says:
Errors occurred processing this form:
Please enter the title of your paper. (English)
Please enter an abstract for your submission. (English)

And if I don’t change form language to English, it doesn’t allow submission.

If I disable (in language settings) forms checkbox in Croatian, it works without letting me choose the form language, but I don’t think it’s supposed to work like that.

Kind regards,

Ivo

Hi @ihaladin,

With English set as the default, OCS will require certain fields to have a value entered in that language. For OJS and OMP we’ve extended the options there slightly to allow for the submitter to choose a primary language for the submission, but that option hasn’t been back-ported to OCS. For now, your choice of primary language for the conference imposes certain requirements on data attached to submissions within it.

Regards,
Alec Smecher