OJS - JATS XML - Footnotes

Describe the issue or problem
We have a problem with footnotes after publishing article in xml which are not displayed. We could put them in simple

, but then footnotes do not serve their purpose and are difficult to use. I was wondering what can I do to make them interactive.

Steps I took leading up to the issue
I had an idea to put them in tables (one table (one cell) for one footnote). But I have doubts whether this is an appropriate practice and what are the dangers involved.
Could you give any advice? How do you deal with it?

What application are you using?
OJS 3.3.0.12

We have a problem with footnotes after publishing article in xml which are not displayed. We could put them in simple

, but then footnotes do not serve their purpose and are difficult to use

• Not quite sure what you mean by “simple” here - can you clarify? Also it might be helpful if you were able to link to an example or include screenshots to illustrate what you mean?

-Roger
PKP Team

O, sorry. Now I see that some words in my question disappeared. Maybe because I used a tag. I meant simple section and paragraph. Reader would have to scroll a lot to find footnote and than go back up to the appropriate text fragment.
My idea is to use a single table cell to put footnote in:
xref ref-type=“table” rid=“foot1”>[1]</xref
which leads to:

<table-wrap  id="foot1">	<label>	Footnote 1	</label>	<table  frame="void" rules="none" align="left" cellpadding="5">	 <tbody>	<tr>	<td>  footnote text	</td>	</tr>	</tbody>	 </table>	 </table-wrap>

It works ok and look ok. But is it ok?
I would love to know how other publishers manage with “fn” which is not displayed in OJS.

Hi @A_G,

Thanks for clarifying. I’m not really well-versed in JATS, but I’ll see if another one of our team members can assist.

-Roger

PKP Team

1 Like