OJS+Immersion: issue's description display on the homepage and in the issue's page

Hello,

I kindly write here in order to submit a proposal about the way in which Immersion theme (OJS 3, latest version) displays the horizontal width of the text “Issue description” (on the web version of the website). At the moment, the text occupies a small percentage of the horizontal space, and so it has to go on many lines occupying a longer vertical space. I would like to ask if there could be a way to extend a bit this text horizontally, in order to display more largely this text. There could be a way with some custom css?
I attach two screenshot in this regard.
Many thanks, and best regards,
Leonardo

Immagine 2021-03-10 092729
Immagine 2021-03-10 092802

Hi @leonardo.mancini,

When you post here, could you give a specific version number (e.g. 3.2.1) and not say “latest version” - this is not helpful in helping to identify your problem. For this particular issue, you may wish to post an issue directly on the Github repository, making a request for this change: Issues · pkp/immersion · GitHub

Best regards,

Roger
PKP Team

Unfortunately, this can not be done with CSS. The theme uses the bootstrap framework with a class that determines the width of each column.

To be honest, I’d recommend leaving it as-is. The design was made that way on purpose by a talented designer. Trying to use up all of the available space is a common design mistake that designers spend a lot of time pushing back on. In this case, the line length, line height and font size are carefully balanced to make the text more readable. It’s really best to leave these things alone unless you have a professional designer guiding the changes.

Hello @NateWr,

I understand what you say and the point: I agree.
Sorry also if I gave you a wrong impression, which was not intended. I actually do like very much all the OJS themes, and I use almost all of them. Immersion is actually my favourite, the most joyful. Probably I was working so much on it that I started to figure out alternatives in my mind and I shared it here, but without any bad purpose.
By the way, I am not a designer, and my level of visual ability does not reach even Petroglyphs (I can draw animal and human figures not even like they were doing).
Best regards,
Leonardo

1 Like

Hi @leonardo.mancini,

No offense was taken and I’m sorry if my last message was too blunt or dismissive! I just wanted to give my recommendation. It’s totally ok for anyone to customize the themes and to discuss ways to improve them – we like that! – I just wanted to give you my best advice as I see it.

1 Like