OJS 'How to cite' uses wrong language

Hi,

I believe there is a problem with ‘How to cite’ in case of multilanguage OJS installation. If you have an article with localized (two different) titles then ‘How to cite’ show different way of referencing, two different titles, depending on the UI language a reader selects. That basically means there are two different references, which I believe is not OK, and has an impact on metrics,…

I believe there should be always the same reference, no matter of selected UI language. And that should be the primary language that is selected for the article.

To continue with this topic - I believe that should be the same with import/export formats (CrossReff, DOAJ,…).

Please let me know your opinion on this.

Regards, Primož

For citation style/translations, it appears that this will depend on the citation style, e.g., see http://www.citethisforme.com/blog/2019/02/20/cite-a-a-foreign-language-source . Some citation styles will want the title in its primary language with an English translation all in the same citation, whereas other styles will not want a translated title.
OJS in general could benefit from great flexibility/options in citation format output. Some journals require a citation style (or variation of a citation style) for their published articles (normally something that is typical/expected for their field) that is not available as a citation output in the reading tools. This does not make sense for readers who use the tool. It would be ideal if a journal could select and arrange the metadata fields included in a citation format (along with the desired punctuation, spacing, and text styling). I’m sure that’s easier said than done!

Vanessa

Hi @vgabler,

We depend on a third party CSL (Citation Style Language) toolkit, https://github.com/seboettg/citeproc-php, which I don’t believe has support for permitting a subset of citation formats to use e.g. translated titles – we provide it with a title, and it’ll format any supported citation using that single title. This would need some work in the CSL toolkit before we could change it in OJS.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team