OJS "How to Cite" EndNote export issue - Year instead of journal name

I am am trying to export my article citations from OJS to EndNote. The citation exports without a problem, but in Endnote the journal name (which should be “Pathogens and Immunity”) appears as the year “2016”. I have checked my metadata for the site and for the article, but I can’t find any spot where I may have accidentally used the year instead of the actual journal title.

Here is my process:
When viewing the article in OJS I find “Article Tools” in the lefthand column.

1. I click “How to Cite”
  2. I select “EndNote”
  3. OJS creates a file with the citation, which is opened by EndNote

It looks like someone else had this exact same problem a few years ago: https://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8289

I should also mention that we are on OJS v 2.4.8.0

Any help would be great. Thank you!

Hi @rlucas,

I don’t have a copy of EndNote to experiment with over here. Could you try saving the reference to your disk, then with a text editor (e.g. Notepad or similar), editing it to experiment a little?

Try removing the line with the “%B” tag; that one looks erroneous, at a glance. Then test to see if it imports as expected. Confirm here and if that solves the problem I’ll commit the fix to our code repository.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

@asmecher Thank you for the reply. We have a web host for OJS that was able to make the correction for me.
Thanks,
Rob Lucas
www.paijournal.com

Hi @rlucas,

Did the change fix the EndNote issue?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Our web host added a script to replace the default OJS script for the EndNote export, but yes, it worked.
Thanks!
Rob

Hi @rlucas,

Sorry for the confusion – I’m just trying to confirm whether or not the change I suggested above worked for you, so that I can apply it to our source repository for release in the next version of OJS if it did. Did you make the change I suggested, or did you do something else?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Oh, sorry. Unfortunately I do not have direct access to the OJS files, so I was not able to try your suggestion. I can only make changes as an admin, journal manager or editor.
Thank you,
Rob

Hi @rlucas,

Thanks for confirming.

If anyone else is experiencing this issue, I’d appreciate it if they could confirm whether my suggestion above works; I don’t have EndNote so can’t test it myself. Once someone is able to confirm I can commit it for release in OJS.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher and Others,

We had similar messages from users using EndNote saying the .enw files they downloaded imported the year of publication for the journal name instead of the actual journal name.

I can confirm that removing the %B tag resolves the issue.

In reviewing how the .enw file is generated, I decided to make a few other changes. I removed the %! and %9 tags as they seemed to duplicate the %T title tag and %K keywords tag, respectively. I also removed the %7 tag, which I think EndNote reads as an edition number, but OJS fills it with a publication date (and the publication date is already covered with the %8 tag). I also changed the way the %P page number tag is generated. OJS calculates the total number of pages of an article for the %P tag instead of the page range. I changed it so it gives the latter instead.

A user who owns EndNote (Version X5) was able to confirm that after the changes EndNote imports all fields as expected.

I’m happy to do a PR on GitHub with these changes if you’re interested.

Hi @mchladek,

Yes, a pull request would be very helpful! I maintain these, and I don’t actually have a copy of EndNote myself to test with.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

I have the same issue and removed %B from the file as suggested and it fixed the issue BUT how can I fix for all of the citations? Do I need to change anything in the plugin? Please suggest!

Hi @esciencepress,

What version of OJS are you using? (Please include this in your posts.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher

I am using 2.4.8.0 version of OJS. I have removed %B, %! and %7 tags. The output format is now showing the journal name at its proper place.

@mchladek can you please share how you changed %P to display page number range. Currently, the settings show the number of pages in the EndNote output.