OJS extremely slow just after fresh install

Hi,

I just installed OJS 3.0.2.0. The install went well but OJS is so slow after that it is impossible to use it. Pages take 10s at least to be opened. Everything is slow and I tested three browsers with the same problem (firefox, chromium and midori all three on linux).

The cache directory has 775 permissions. I guess it is a problem with the server.

Here are some informations about the server:

Server Information
Setting Name Setting Value
OS platform Linux
PHP version 5.6.29
Apache version Apache/2.4.23 (Unix) OpenSSL/1.0.1e-fips mod_fcgid/2.3.9 mod_wsgi/4.5.7 Python/2.7
Database driver mysql
Database server version 5.6.35-log

Could you help me fix this latency problem? I can provide informations if needed and run tests.

Hi @petur,

I’d suggest using developer tools like Firebug for Firefox or the tools built into Chrome to check whether the problem is a single request taking a long time, or the sheer number of requests. Ensure also that minification is enabled in config.inc.php.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Thank you for the answer.

I have minification enable in config.inc.php:

enable_minified = On

Here is the result of Firebug when a user connects (so for the home page “submissions”):

As you can see one request took 30s and another 1 min.

Hi @petur,

It looks like your MySQL/PHP combination is performing extremely poorly. Are you running on a shared server? If so, your options are limited, I’m afraid, but it may be worth asking them what resource limits they have.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team